V6 amplifier

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
dual 40Vac for +-55Vdc to +-59Vdc can potentially give maximum power well over 300W into 4r0.
That is way beyond the reliable capability of a 2pair 160W device output stage !!!!!

Sorry I was not accurate enough:

The bigger version use +/-55VDC (2x40VAC power transformer), and gives about 250W/4ohms. 2 pairs of 6145/2223.
The downscaled version use +/-40VDC (2x28VAC power transformer) and gives 60W/8ohms. 2 pairs of 3519/1386.

The original version was planned to use 3 pairs, but I felt it too much.

Sajti

I used 3pairs of 230W devices on a dual 40Vac transformer and it gave 311W into 4r0. But it is not man enough to be rated for 4ohms reactive speaker use. So it is rated for 6ohms or greater. It gives 170W into 8r0 and will play all day and for party duty. I think it might even double up as PA duty, but only for 8ohms, or greater. My Tannoy Leopards are close to 10ohms.
2pair of 160W devices into 4ohms is sailing very close to the sirocco.

I use single 630VA toroidal transformer, with separated secondaries, to feed both channels. So there must be some rail sagging.
The amplifier was used to push 2x10" subwoofer/channel in a party. I just added 2pcs. of 4" fan to cool the heatsinks on the rear.

Sajti

Attachments

• V4_inside.jpg
    V4_inside.jpg
    82.4 KB · Views: 386
Hi Guys

It is surprising that anyone would use carbon resistors to build an audio amp these days!

Back in the early days of Bryston's manufacturing, the power amps were at the limit of the test equipment resolution of the day (and still are today with respect to modern test systems). They found that changing the feedback resistor from coarbon to metal-film cut THD by more than half. It is well-known today but not back then that carbon resistor THD has a voltage-dependent portion, so having a large audio signal across one generates a lot of distortion within the resistor.

Sajti, you said your test equipment cannot resolve below 500ppm, but that does not mean you have to settle for "carbon performance" - hehe. Eliminating distortions where we can is always a good thing and you might make a subsequent change that would be noticeable were the carbon distortions already removed.

The build looks beautiful!

Hi,
it was a surprise, that there are some companies, which are still using carbon film resistors, even in their higher quality equiments too.

I used Takman REX resistors, which has qutie good reputation within the diyers. If You check the schematic of the V4, You will find, that there are many resistors, which are running with low, and almost constant current. The only critical part is the feedback network, where 22mA AC current runs over the resistors. But the dissipation of them is about 15-20% of their limit.

The basic version of V4 use DALE RN resistors, and it has much more relaxed sound comparing to the carbon film version. The Takman version has very vivid, exciting and thrillig sound, but it You will be tired with long term listening.
Generally I use the DALE version, and my next plan to build one more amplifier with Takman REY resistors.

Sajti

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.