uStack Desktop Amp.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello,

I'm looking to build a desktop practice amp, no bigger than a sheet of A4 (not set in stone on size).

The idea being to create a little practice amp which runs off a battery (pp3) or maybe a wall wart. I have a couple of speakers to use and am thinking of making a very simple amp. The question I have is Class A or Class AB?

I was thinking about a simple single transistor Class A setup with volume and no tone stack(use guitar for that).

Then thought about building a Class AB just for fun. Not really huge power just want to get a decent little amp for practicing on.

Both have same (approx) amount of comps, so any thoughts?

Many thanks.

One of the versions for practice guitar amp using LM386 that has had a lot of successful DIY builds is the Ruby Amp by ROG. It uses a simple JFet as a buffer between the guitar and chip amp. That will increase the input impedance of your practice amp, giving better performance. It will also warm up the sound a bit compared to going in direct. Lots of sound demos available, and it is only a few more components so it is easy to give a try.
Have fun!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.