USSA-5 Build with Review

Hey ggetzoff , it was a little warmer these Days and i measured 51,5°C on Heatsink and 78-82C on Fets.Soundwise it got better after changing PSU from CrCCC to CRCRCC and after that i thougt I give it a try and do CRCRCRC (never saw that before) .I really like it a lot now,but I think there is still something to do.Some Things don`t sound right,maybe check out some different Parts.But I think that is just getting the last bit out of the Amp.,which is already way better than F5 was.Wonder what would be the best PSU for it.
Regards DT

I am still very happy with the USSA5's performance as it still beats all my current amps in terms of clarity. However, I can't say much about soundstage etc because currently I don't have the luxury of space to properly position my speaker system.
It is easy to hear the clarity difference when changing amps for A/B comparison. The USSA5 always reveals much more detail in the music.
I will be tearing apart and rebuilding my USSA5 according to FAB's manual again, to be sure i didn't missed out any steps. Especially the initial P1&P2 adjustments. And started to love those maths on resistors calculations, since i now understand the methods better. I want to make this my "Reference" power amp.

As for the USSPA, i will build it when i have decided which power supply topology to use.
Any recommendation for a low noise superb power supply circuits ?

Reactions: 1 user

fab

Joined 2004
Paid Member
The heat transfer between mosfets and heatsinks seems to me to be quite inefficient because I am not sure that 30° difference is acceptable.
People more technical than me can give their point of view but personally I encourage you to review this point.

Yes 30C difference is a lot and not optimal. With thin mica insulator and thin silicon based thermal paste I can get maybe less than 10C difference between hottest spot on heatsink and Output mosfet body. With normal thermal pad i was able to get about 15C delta T. However, I am not sure how big delta T influences sound but surely temperature compensation bias... the reassuring part is that Lateral mosfet does not suffer from thermal runaway...

Fab

fab

Joined 2004
Paid Member
USSPA

Hi meanie
There is no specific IDSS value requirements for the jfet except BL grade as per the schematics. Higher IDSS will produce more heat to dissipate. With +/- 15vdc you can target IDSS lower than 10ma which in circuit will give a max of about 7ma to produce 100ma which is quite acceptable. Thus any IDSS between 6-10ma will do fine.
Fab

Last edited:

fab

Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi meanie
There is no specific IDSS value requirements for the jfet except BL grade as per the schematics. Higher IDSS will produce more heat to dissipate. With +/- 15vdc you can target IDSS lower than 10ma which in circuit will give a max of about 7ma to produce 100ma which is quite acceptable. Thus any IDSS between 6-10ma will do fine.
Fab
I meant 100mW...