Using screws instead of clamps to glue cabinets

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
So guys, I've just finished putting the back panels together. Everything looked solid but then I tried the "wrap your knuckle" test and it seems like the section where the bass driver sits may have more resonance verse other parts of the cabinet. Should have made a couple of brackets there. It scares me a little bit. I put all those hard works and hate to have a thing like this happens. Anyway, I have a quick fix that I want to run by you guys and see if they will work. Will a couple of sticks gluing to the back of the panels diagonally help stiffen the back panels and hopefully push the resonance frequency up higher? The back panels are pretty large so maybe it's easy to resonate. (See pic bellow).
See the pic where the bass driver sits and the according dimension. Do you see a potential problem?
pms_p5.jpg

pms_p6.jpg

pms_p4.jpg

pms_p7.jpg

Last edited:
Well another brute force and easy method I can think of if all else failed is to glue the back panels with another layer of something, maybe mdf, to dampen any resonance and the driver back waves. The down side is I may have to visit my chiropractor more often :).

Or use the thicker plywood but kerf cut it. For what it's worth now, I'd have made the front from one continuous piece, kerf cutting only at the curves of the ribs. This would have been seamless.

I strongly second this method, and all that is needed is a circular saw.

A cheap and often preferred method for gluing boxes with non-square form factors where I live can be seen in the enclosed image. These straps are often used in conjunction with biscuit joints, a most elegant method that does not compromize the surfaces of the box panels.

Attachments

• spännband.jpg
    spännband.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 85
Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.