Used NAD 3060 or LM3886 stero kit?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Used NAD 3060 - Any good, worth it over a ClassD kit?

I wanted to ask about a choice but I changed it. Who knows anything about the NAD 3060 amplifier?

I found one locally which comes with a set of speakers. The speakers I cannot use (yet I suppose) but the amp can be useful if it works. I like vintage gear.

Who knows about the 3060? Is it any good compared to say a TDA 7498 kit amp? The one advertised is a rare model since it was only made of a year apparently (from the few things I could find) since it has a wood enclosure and silver face-plate. It is rather good from one person on the internet somewhere in 2002.

The only thing that bother me a bit about the amp (for the sake of argument lets say it works perfectly fine - need to find out) is the actual size of it. I'm in the process of making some small stereo speakers for my desk for video editing, no more than 30W/channel. A TDA amp can be A LOT smaller than the NAD - but it is a NAD! And it is vintage! And assuming it works fine it is merely plug in a works. But it is big.

So, would a NAD 3060, in your opinion be worth it over for example, a TDA7498 amp it?

Last edited:
Joined 2010
Paid Member
A 3U rack case size amp for home video editing?...seems like a strain on available space for a job that probably wont benefit from over-warm NAD sound.

Unless you actually want it to listen and just enjoy the music, I would go for compactness and neutrality in sound as priorities. Just consider what a mess the mix will be, played back with eq to suit a particular tonal balance of the mix amplifier.

Go for the chip amp, assuming it's a good quality implementation that doesn't leave you with low budget compromises everywhere. The sound quality is not just the chip. It's the PCB, wiring layout and power supply too.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.