US Naval pilots "We see UFO everyday for at least a couple of years"

When it comes to jet engines, Frank Whittle deserves a shout out. He was the guy on the British side that independently developed the jet engine. Both he and his German counterpart, Otto Hahn (von Hahn? I can’t remember) became good friends after the war.

Whittle always seems to be the first one referenced as "the creator of..."....this is not the case, Whittle was one of a long line of inventors bringing the jet engine into practical reality.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------Rick...

www.hifisonix.com
Joined 2003
Paid Member
There’s no doubt Whittle and von Ohain were the prime movers and shakers that got the concept off the ground. There is a good wiki entry on Whittle that goes through the shenanigans, dead ends, rejections etc that plagued the road from idea to working engine in the UK. The Germans just got on and did it from what I can tell.

IIUC, Whittle came up with the turbofan concept which today powers almost all commercial airplanes.

(I think a sphere heated by a flame and ejecting steam causing it to rotate is a bit tenuous Galu! Next thing the ancient Mesopotamians will be credited with inventing the car! Perhaps better described as a machine that simply demonstrated the potential of steam to be harnessed to do work)

The principle of the jet engine was known way back before the 20th century.

I think a sphere heated by a flame and ejecting steam causing it to rotate is a bit tenuous Galu! Next thing the ancient Mesopotamians will be credited with inventing the car!
Please note that I did not claim that Hero invented the jet engine.

He simply demonstrated its principle, a word which I also highlighted in my original post.

For those who do not understand the principle of the jet engine, it is one of action and reaction.

Let's check with NASA:

Newton's Third Law of Motion

Last edited:
Here's an interesting paragraph:
There are patterns in everything, even in hallucinations and dreams. Even pathological science exhibits a certain indubitable order. For example, it usually takes a form that seems avant-garde, but not utterly spacey. The scientist on this kind of frolic, Martin Gardner observes, usually "rid[es] into ignorance. . . on the coattails of reputable investigators." He is always to be found in the vicinity of the latest epidemic, the trailblazing diagnostic procedure, the trendiest new therapy or technology. Thus, an 1881 treatise blamed "neurasthenia" on "steam power" and "the mental activity of women" among other alarming hazards new to that era. Blondot's discovery of N rays, which don't exist, came close on the heels of Röntgen's discovery of X rays, which do. The development of serious chemotherapy in the treatment of cancer was soon followed by the development of Krebiozen, Laetrile, and AIDS therapies based on cucumber extracts.
- from 'Galileo's Revenge' by Peter Huber ©1991

There's jet-powered flight at the beginning of the UFO phenomenon, a big boost from the Moon missions, and now the dawn of civilian space flight.

Last edited: