Upgrading Philips DVD 963 SA

Lucas_G said:

Guido,

This is very good news!

I am sure that with your experience on clocks, we can make the 963 much better.

So you think that the other clock (for upsampling) needs replacement as well. This seems highly logical to me and I was surprised that all the expensive modding firms on the web seem to ignore this.

You plan to build an extra linear powersupply. There is enough room in the enclosure. Would you only feed the analogue output circuit with that, or also the the digital circuit?

BTW, the SACD 1000 does have a seperate linear PSU for its analogue circuit. However, some people responsible for the aquisition of parts at Philips seem to have been pennywise. After the exchange of the standard diodes in the SACD 1000 (by the Dutch firm van Medevoort) this player sounded incredibly better. Its previously dull sound is really gorgeous now. (They also did the MKP bycaps, but I think that this diode upgrade was the real thing.)

Please keep us informed during the various stages of your development.

Regards,

Lucas.

Lucas

You are free to replace whichever clock you need, but personally I am not conviced of upsampling (yet).

In the 963 I plan to replace the whole SMPS. For the SACD1000 I do the same, weheras the exsiting linear supply keeps sitting on its place.

All takes a load of time to make thermally safe, and compliant with EMC standards etc

I will be off to Barcelona for a Holiday, and after that a business (Philips) trip will follow to Asia, so please be patient.

You may already buy a clock and implement it - it'll wait for final sollution and can be re-used.

What I am aiming at is an improvement over the current SACD clock in the 963. It is derived from a PLL (yuck) presently and not easy to modify ina way that it realy brings improvement..

all the best

Guido Tent said:

You are free to replace whichever clock you need, but personally I am not conviced of upsampling (yet).

In the 963 I plan to replace the whole SMPS. For the SACD1000 I do the same, weheras the exsiting linear supply keeps sitting on its place.

All takes a load of time to make thermally safe, and compliant with EMC standards etc

I will be off to Barcelona for a Holiday, and after that a business (Philips) trip will follow to Asia, so please be patient.

You may already buy a clock and implement it - it'll wait for final sollution and can be re-used.

What I am aiming at is an improvement over the current SACD clock in the 963. It is derived from a PLL (yuck) presently and not easy to modify ina way that it realy brings improvement..

all the best

Hi Guido,

My experiences on upsampling have also given me reason to be sceptical. However, if we make a clean implementation of this it may turn out to be more effective than usual. (AD 1896 plus better clock...)

So, you plan to get rid of all the SPSU's! That is a thorough approach indeed!

Do take you time. There is no real hurry in this, and meanwhile we can all try the other mod's. I wish you a good journey.

Regards,

Lucas.

Just a few links to other interesting threads on the 963SA:

http://www.audioasylum.com/forums/hirez/messages/150722.html

http://www.audioasylum.com/forums/hirez/messages/150702.html

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?threadid=298015&highlight=963sa

http://www.tweakaudio.com/Philips DVD963SA.html

Apparently many owners are raving about the BG VK 350 V 150 uF upgrade. At 23 dollar this seems worthwile. However, for anyone planning to exchange the SPSU by a linear PSU it will be of short usage...

The same Dutch 963 modder has sent me further info:

"As output-caps I took the BG of 470 mF. Maybe a bit large, but I don't think it hurts either.
I too will wait for Guido Tent's new clock. He has offered his "old" clock, but I don't like the idea of resoldering those SMD caps back again at a later stage. Therefore, I think that a little waiting (not too long!) is wiser.
I did build Guido's current clock into my previous player, a Sony 940, and it did give an improvement. However, the Philips 963 is (already in this state) much better sounding than the Sony.

Furthermore, I have removed the mute-transistors for the front-channels. This was also an improvement. Most of the time there are no problems while switching on or off, but sometimes I got huge clicks. I finally inserted a little relay-switch. This has been working fine for several months. And so we keep ourselfs busy..."

Guido Tent said:

Lucas

I lost track here, what do you mean ?

regards

Hi Guido,

I mean replacing the large no-name 400 V 100 mF cap in the switching powersupply of the 963. Many have exchanged this for a BG VK 350 V 150 uF cap, and they all seem to be very impressed by the sonic improvement.

However, if one plans to exchange the switching power supply for a newly built linear power supply in the longer term, the money spent on this BG (appr. 23 dollar) is wasted.

Regards,

Lucas.

Lucas_G said:

Hi Guido,

I mean replacing the large no-name 400 V 100 mF cap in the switching powersupply of the 963. Many have exchanged this for a BG VK 350 V 150 uF cap, and they all seem to be very impressed by the sonic improvement.

However, if one plans to exchange the switching power supply for a newly built linear power supply in the longer term, the money spent on this BG (appr. 23 dollar) is wasted.

Regards,

Lucas.

get the point, thanks

The BG can be used in a tube output stage for the 963 - I will design one using 150uF :)

randytsuch said:
OK, here's a serious reply.

Even if you add a linear supply later, you can use the switcher for the transport, and the linear for the DAC and output stage. Then, the money you spend upgrading the switcher is not wasted.

Randy

Hi Randytsuch,

Do you think the SPSU upgrade couldl pay off when only used for the transport?

Regards,

Lucas.

Hi there

I wrecked by accident the power supply of my 963. :bawling:
Still busy collecting parts to build a complete new non switching power supply.
I have the schematics ,but I could use some more information about the max. current each voltage has to deliver. Is there anybody out there willing to measure a 963 while playing CD,SACD and DVD disks? That would be really helpfull!

Klaas

KlaasH said:
Hi there

I wrecked by accident the power supply of my 963. :bawling:
Still busy collecting parts to build a complete new non switching power supply.
I have the schematics ,but I could use some more information about the max. current each voltage has to deliver. Is there anybody out there willing to measure a 963 while playing CD,SACD and DVD disks? That would be really helpfull!

Klaas

Hi Klaas,

How did it happen? Did you change some values in the SPSU?

Could you upload the schematics as jpg or pdf files?

If you tell me what to measure, I may try things for you...

Regards,

Lucas

hatasa said:
:devily: Hehehe!!! See what I done today???

:nod: I've tried to stack up the AD1955.... It is hard and took me 20-30 mins to finish it. I "simulate" the process of the work in my mind last night. Then I decide to try this morning. Finally, done!

;) Mmmmm... have the burn-in and trial on the performance there, so the review have to delay a little bit!!!

Hatasa,

How did the stacking of the DAC work out?
Did it improve the sound?

I just got 2 AD 1955 as samples, so I am curious whether it is worth the trouble... And a trouble it must be!

Regards,

Lucas.

vulture said:
I got the AD1986 directly from the analog devices site, compared to the AD1985 it appears to have better snr (and costs twice as much!). It is pin compatible with the AD1985 with the exception of pin one that controls the long/short group delay, I think the pin is pulled up internally so it should just go as a direct replacement for the AD1985.

Hi Vulture,

Did you already solder the AD 1986 int oyour 963?
I got one too as a sampler, and would like to know whether it brings an improvement...

Regards,

Lucas

Yep, I put the AD1896 on the board. It is reasonably straight forward, use a hook to lift and desolder each individual leg of the old chip one by one. That means that the old 1895 goes in the bin :devily: Then make sure that each pad has an even amount of solder, put the new chip in place and heat the ends. I really can't tell if it has improved the sound yet - will do some more listening tests over the weekend.

The AD1955 are much trickier to do!

:devilr: :devilr: :devilr:

randytsuch said:

Lucas,
In the SACD 1000, there is a switcher for the transport, and a linear for the DAC/output section.

I modded the switcher, and it made the 1000 better.

Randy

Hi Randy,

My friend owns a SACD 1000.
We want to further upgrade his player as well.
Could you please tell something the update you did to your SACD 1000?

Regards,

Lucas.

Ok , I have a question for all your experts there - if you are to replace one of the clocks in the 963sa to improve red book CD replay via SPDIF (upsampled to 24/96) which one would you go for - the 33MHz one or the 24MHz one that feeds the AD1985 resampler. Correct me if I am wrong, but the AD1985 is an async sample rate converter which to me means that the data on its output at say 24/96 is clocked by the 24Mhz crystal. Thoughts?

:confused: