Unusual new project in the planning stages

It's been so long since my open baffle system was completed and honestly, due to famiy and living situation, I don't get to enjoy it as much as I used to. It's time for something scaled down and yet possibly MORE precise, MORE stunning and natural to listen to. Something I can fit comfortably into my bedroom and not disturb the wife and kids, but can't be headphones, as I can't last more than maybe an hour with headphones on, no matter how lightweight and comfortable they are. It's got the be real speakers with imaging.

I've got most of the design sorted out, but not sure what to do for the woofer/sub. Likely want it to be open baffle and as simple and light as possible, but open to options from y'all. Maybe a pair of something mounted totally naked, as the planar and midbass will be, but not 100% settled there. Looking for options with a QTS around .5-.7, low FS and 4 Ohms. Hit me with options regarding drivers or other novel designs for bass, either store bought or DIY. Could also just buy the dual Rhythmik 8" kit and mount that somehow. More concerned with clean, tight pitch definition than the last ounce of extension.

Photo of original system for comparison sake followed by photos of inspirations for this project.

Attachments

• IMG_20200407_173712_01.jpg
    IMG_20200407_173712_01.jpg
    206.6 KB · Views: 315
  • UNFL-Back.jpg
    UNFL-Back.jpg
    159.3 KB · Views: 323
  • ifi_chair.jpg
    ifi_chair.jpg
    26.1 KB · Views: 285
  • FA253-1_1920x1920.jpg
    FA253-1_1920x1920.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 288
  • Radian.jpg
    Radian.jpg
    148.6 KB · Views: 264
  • drum rack.jpg
    drum rack.jpg
    8.9 KB · Views: 269
  • zero g chair.jpg
    zero g chair.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 302
Reactions: 3 users
Chair purchased. Thanks Facebook marketplace. For anyone with lower back pain, these style chairs are certainly worth investigating.

Next up is to build a test "speaker bridge" to go across the width of the chair with planar and Ascendant Carbon 6.5 mounted. Could also go coaxial if the Radian 10" planar does not have satisfactory top end extension after felt side pads and EQ.

Attachments

• zero g chair at home.jpg
    zero g chair at home.jpg
    520.3 KB · Views: 196
  • zero g with me.jpg
    zero g with me.jpg
    419.8 KB · Views: 201
  • Zbridge-driverassembly.jpg
    Zbridge-driverassembly.jpg
    17.3 KB · Views: 203
Reactions: 2 users
Could also just buy the dual Rhythmik 8" kit and mount that somehow.
as a loudspeaker (at loudspeaker location, though if the chair is effectively the location then disregard the differences mentioned and perhaps any need for digital delay).

or (better yet IMO) a couple of B200’s from Visaton with some coil resistance (inductor) and minimal baffle along with 1 or 2 (active bass shakers) for your chair.

or (best IMO) near your chair:

an 18” OB (as high in freq. as 300 Hz) on each side of your chair (side tables) with enough digital delay, along with stereo bass shakers in the chair connected in parallel to the 18” driver (stereo L & R).

BIANCO-18SW450​

(the close proximity tends to enhance the low-end output and make less spl in-room).

w/ respect to bass shakers: note how I describe them here:
https://www.diyaudio.com/community/threads/ultimate-open-baffle-gallery.123512/page-197#post-7074980

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
or (best IMO) near your chair:

an 18” OB (as high in freq. as 300 Hz) on each side of your chair (side tables) with enough digital delay, along with stereo bass shakers in the chair connected in parallel to the 18” driver (stereo L & R).

BIANCO-18SW450​

I could see maybe going with the BIANCO-15OB350 (17lbs vs 31lbs for the 18SW450, but anything larger might get unweildy, trying to attach it all to a stand and push around in the room. I'm trying to have the chair and whatever speaker contraption I come up with able to be pushed up against a side wall when not in use and pulled partially out into the bedroom when being used. There's always an AE 12" or 15" LO series driver to try. I had the AE 15" Dipole series years ago as the initial woofer in the open baffles, but its Q was too high for my liking and I sold those. I think the LO series might be a better fit. Or even the IBAU 12". Will for sure run stereo, but would like to keep closer to 150-200hz range. With the drivers in such close proximity for mids and highs, I fear a too high crossover point from bass to mids will localize things too easily to the floor.

https://aespeakers.com/shop/lo-woofers/lo12/
https://aespeakers.com/shop/ibau-woofers/ib12au/

Delay won't be a problem as this system will be powered from the Hypex Fusion FA253 plate amps....at least to start, as I've got a spare pair waiting for a reason to use them. I'll check your link to the shakers. At least one under the chair, lightly feathered in might be nice.

A couple 5“ FR drivers mounted to gimbal arms along with a bass shaker or two attached to the chair frame is how I would do it.
Cal, I've got drum hardware stuck in my mind since I know those products, but can you think of any other gimbal, swing-arm type products that are pre-made that I could use to mount the mid/high assembly? I prefer to modify pre-made items rather than craft fully from scratch if possible. It's got to be sturdy and non-resonant, but the planar and the Carbon 6.5 both don't weigh too much. I'm thinking of single-arm, articulated TV mounts as an option too. I'll likely recline at different angles, so easy adjustment of the mid/high panel will be necessary.

TV mount.jpg

Attachments

• ascendant carbon rear.jpg
    ascendant carbon rear.jpg
    455.1 KB · Views: 48
  • ascendant carbon.jpg
    ascendant carbon.jpg
    684.6 KB · Views: 50
I'm trying to have the chair and whatever speaker contraption I come up with able to be pushed up against a side wall when not in use and pulled partially out into the bedroom when being used.
I was thinking that it (upper freq. section) would be attached to the chair allowing it to “tilt” with the chair - so you could fully recline and still have an optimal listening angle. ;)

—and keeping the side-tables next to the chair. (the tables don’t need to be much wider than the depth of the driver.)

was thinking that it (upper freq. section) would be attached to the chair allowing it to “tilt” with the chair - so you could fully recline and still have an optimal listening angle. ;)
I was hoping to pull that trick off, but aside from the substantial wood base that does not move, the chairs frame doesn't seem well suited to mount anything to it that could move with the chair as it reclines. I'll start with a separate stand for now as basic proof of concept.

-you could always mod. the chair. :)

All 5 of my HT seats are modified - including splitting-open the back of the chairs to add a lumbar brace I could attach 1 of the 2 bass shakers to. I also did some fairly specialized supports/“legs” for the chairs to slightly raise the chair height and to isolate the chair from the floor. It did take some time to finish them though. :blush:

..looking at the zero-g chair: perhaps the base & back of the thigh just slightly above the knee joint for an added brace to attach to?

Last edited:
This is exactly the type of project I have been envisioning based on something I was selling back in the 90's. It was a motorized leather recliner that was a zero-G type setup but was a 4.1 system that had the woofer in the base and the rear speakers mounted to the sides of the headrest and the front speakers mounted on bent tubing attached to the front of the armrests. The front speakers could be rotated (tilted) as well as being able to swing the tubes a little so you could adjust the front speakers optimally. The rears only allowed rotating toward or away from your head. No idea what speakers were used but they were MTM (D'Applito) bookshelf sized units. Clark Sound or Audio or some such but dang if I can find anything on the internet about them now. Was an amazing sounding system though and I wish I could find it, or one like it now. Was $5k retail back then and we closed before ever selling it. Can't find anything like it now, hence the DIY dream now. I also sold (and snagged) Eminent Technologies EFT-11 desktop sat/sub system that I would love to adapt to a DIY sound chair/recliner. Not sure if 4.1 is the dream, but DVD-A on that setup would be stupendous. Gotta finish my XSD speakers first though.

Just a little update. All parts for V1 are here now. Woofer went in a different direction, but only becuase I got a deal I could not refuse. Measurements and listening tests will determine if they stay or I go to V2.

Look at the comparison of a standard Neo3 next to the little Radian LT2. I think it looks like a nice combination for an all planar coaxial unit. As far as the woofer, it's a JBL Arena 12. Not your typical car audio woofer that's all show and no go. Features dual differential drive just like the higher end pro woofers and a rather light cone for this type of driver.

Attachments

• PXL_20231115_001858271.jpg
    PXL_20231115_001858271.jpg
    469.4 KB · Views: 63
  • PXL_20231115_001805381.jpg
    PXL_20231115_001805381.jpg
    467.3 KB · Views: 64
  • PXL_20231115_001629382.jpg
    PXL_20231115_001629382.jpg
    542.9 KB · Views: 64
  • PXL_20231115_002647477.jpg
    PXL_20231115_002647477.jpg
    444.4 KB · Views: 64
  • PXL_20231115_002621149.jpg
    PXL_20231115_002621149.jpg
    345.3 KB · Views: 59
  • PXL_20231115_002531306.jpg
    PXL_20231115_002531306.jpg
    398 KB · Views: 57
Disabled Account
Joined 2019
Hi studiotech,

is your ScanSpeak RAL cube without the back an option or too heavy/big ?

If I take the idea of open bafle, Full range and ligth, the first idea comming to mind is that ESL kit : FR and ligth and can be close on articulate arm/rod: http://www.eraudio.com.au/505_Mini_Panels/505_mini_panels.html

The idea of near 38 cm OB for the bass is what will give you the spl cancelation for the rest of the house because near you But that rythmix dual 8 should cope well at 250 hz with the ER audio, no ? Or only the 38 at the back of the chair as a 2 + 1 system ?

cheers

Played around the other weekend with a basic test set-up. Have not wired up the JBLs yet. String mounting is most certainly not the permanent solution. It was merely a quick and easy way to try the basic concept of the coaxial arrangement.

Attachments

• PXL_20240120_195709468~2.jpg
    PXL_20240120_195709468~2.jpg
    472.3 KB · Views: 55
  • PXL_20240120_195730199~2.jpg
    PXL_20240120_195730199~2.jpg
    340.1 KB · Views: 55
  • PXL_20240121_210607067.jpg
    PXL_20240121_210607067.jpg
    494 KB · Views: 54