United SiC UJ3N065080K3S, Is there any triode behavior?

I am opening a thread for the UJ3N065080K3S SiC JFET. Is there an operation area that has triode-like behavior?

This is a thread for curve tracer geeks.

I have attached the results of a curve tracer session of mine on this JFET.

In my experience, devices that have triode-like behavior, this behavior is at high-ish voltage and low-ish current. These same devices have pentode-ish behavior at high-ish current and low-ish voltage. I will post that behavior in the next post.

Attachments

• UnitedSIC.jpg
    UnitedSIC.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 794
Here is the LU1014D. This family of curves show triode-ish behavior in the highest voltage portion of the plot with the most negative Vgs while the family of curves shows pentode-ish behavior at the highest current portion of the plot that has the most positive Vgs.

In this family of curves, Vgs spans from -1.2v to -0.4v.

Attachments

• LU1014D_family_Vgs_1_2_to_0_4.jpg
    LU1014D_family_Vgs_1_2_to_0_4.jpg
    100.1 KB · Views: 786
LU1014D does not seem to be in current production anymore.
Anyone know of anything similar? Except a triode ��

Jims Audio on eBay has genuine LU1014D parts. He did send me 2 duds which he replaced when I alerted him to the problem.

2SK182ES are also available on eBay. I have bought and verified 2 pairs.

2SK60 / 2SJ18 I have bought from eBay and verified as genuine/good.

Russian KP926B I have bought from eBay and verified as genuine/good.

2SJ20 I have bought from eBay and verified as good.

Last edited:

PRR

Joined 2003
Paid Member
...has triode-like behavior?....

Plot a reasonable load. For speakers, plot say 5A to 40V, which is 100W at 8 Ohms.

Are the device curves more vertical (lower Z) than this load?

While your last example is triodey compared to a speaker, I'd want to check the curves at speaker-like currents.

If you are bench-tracing, it may be useful to use a 40V supply and a 8 Ohm drain resistor, waggle the gate. (This IS how you will use it to drive a speaker, though you have a choice which leg is Common.)

Attachments

• woofertester-triodes-42.gif
    woofertester-triodes-42.gif
    33.3 KB · Views: 697
LU1014D does not seem to be in current production anymore.
Anyone know of anything similar? Except a triode ��

Plot a reasonable load. For speakers, plot say 5A to 40V, which is 100W at 8 Ohms.

Are the device curves more vertical (lower Z) than this load?

While your last example is triodey compared to a speaker, I'd want to check the curves at speaker-like currents.

If you are bench-tracing, it may be useful to use a 40V supply and a 8 Ohm drain resistor, waggle the gate. (This IS how you will use it to drive a speaker, though you have a choice which leg is Common.)

Good points. Thanks for the observations.

The point of the curves posted was just to separate the SIT-ish devices from non SIT-ish devices.

For the triode-y curves at low current at 15v, my interest is to use this operating point for a cascoded Zen V8 or V9-ish balanced amplifier to drive a set of Stax Gamma ESL headphones. From my research, 10mA bias may be enough. If 10mA is not enough, 100mA at 15v would be no problem.

While it is performs more like a pentode than a triode, there is another application which I've tested where they work great: cascodes!

@1-2A they bias at around 8-10V if I remember my measurements correctly. In my testing at least it can handle 30W no problem so a plug in cascode for N channel devices with 24V up to 2A. Conveniently enough that where most single ended firstwatt amps run the devices at =)

The one and only
Joined 2001
Paid Member
All Fets look a lot like Triodes at low Vds values, and cascoding is one way of
putting that to work, as the Vds can be set fairly arbitrarily.

The F3 did that by cascoding the LU1014 and setting the DC and AC Vds values
seen by the part. I recall that I was able to get some nice .00X% numbers that
way.

:snail:

All Fets look a lot like Triodes at low Vds values, and cascoding is one way of
putting that to work, as the Vds can be set fairly arbitrarily.

The F3 did that by cascoding the LU1014 and setting the DC and AC Vds values
seen by the part. I recall that I was able to get some nice .00X% numbers that
way.

:snail:

Hats off to you for brilliant designs. Its electronic art that many people own and appreciate. I seriously enjoy studying your schematics.

The interesting thing to me about the LU1014D is that it seems to trace like the 2SK60 more than it does a standard JFET. And it is much less expensive to obtain than a 2SK60.