Understanding the Replikon horn

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi Alain,

I've had never the chance to hear that driver but I have a good feeling.

My first 5 min try looks like that.

length : 0,9 m
mouth area : 80cm²
opening area : 55*35 cm
driver volume : 20-25 liters (just a guess)

should be good for small rooms

best regards Till

Attachments

• audio-nirvana-65.jpg
    audio-nirvana-65.jpg
    25.3 KB · Views: 1,789
Hi

sure at the first view the FX-horn and the carfrae-horn look the same. But there are some important details different

1) the FX-horn opens 3-dimensional over the complete horn. Widthways linear and over the depth exponetial

2) the FX-horn has a big camber volume

3) the FX-horn doesn't need an extra subwoofer

But all over the carfrae is a gorgeous horn design and I would like to have the chance to listen to it.

best regards Till

Attachments

• vergleich-fx-carfrae.jpg
    vergleich-fx-carfrae.jpg
    25.8 KB · Views: 2,026
Hi

looking at the smaller brother, the Yellowplay
http://www.hornlautsprecher.de/projekt_yellowplay.htm
I felt, that it could also fit with other speakers.

Comming with:
Roemhild said:
l=[ln(Am/Ah)]/k
k=(4*PI*Fl)/344
Am=[9470/(4*Fm^2)]/4 or if u place it in a corner ....../8
Ah= 60-70% of sd
Ax=Ah*e^(k*l)
Fm ~ fs
Fb=fs*SQUAREROOT[(Vas/Vb)+1]
Fb > Fl > Fm
an Vb is about 15-20% larger than in BR (about 8,5 l in this case)

than this design would also fit to the TB W4-1320 ?
Probably with minor changes ?
e.g. Ah larger due to 4"-speaker ?

parameters (those at the buttom) see here, "softly" broken in speaker: http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?postid=774080#post774080

would that give a satisfying experiment ?

thanks for reply.

Depends what you mean. If you mean 'something that will design it for me' then probably AJ Horn gets you closest. If you mean 'something that will model a design that is entered into them' then Martin King's MathCAD worksheets, Hornresp, AkABAK, AJ Horn, LspCAD & a couple of others are out there.

There's no substitute though for knowledge & actually reading / learning about the subject. Basically, you have to know in advance exactly what you're doing, and on top of that, what your chosen software does & does not do, and does & does not show. No computer programme covers everything. For e.g. many of the long-path designs I did on the Frugal-horn site have fairly dodgy simulated responses, but they will perform better in practice than on a modelled graph. because the software doesn't consider several of their design features.

Replikon

HMMMMMMM

Now my head is humming after all those calculations n stuff
Actually i dont understand half of it but it was very interrestig

BUT

A very big but i know :)
But has anybody ever build those horns ?
I would really love to build the "round" version but is aperantly a secret nobody wants to share.No i am not going to build more then 2
(way too much work) but they have a very high WAF here in my area

My Jerichos where never allowed into the livig room but with those my wife would have no problem (dont ask why)

So if anyone ever build those or has a plan or something like that i would be very greatfull and hppy :)
(Yeah wonderfull exel sheet but way over my head)

thanks all

greetings

wolf

Hi

sure at the first view the FX-horn and the carfrae-horn look the same. But there are some important details different

1) the FX-horn opens 3-dimensional over the complete horn. Widthways linear and over the depth exponetial

2) the FX-horn has a big camber volume

3) the FX-horn doesn't need an extra subwoofer

But all over the carfrae is a gorgeous horn design and I would like to have the chance to listen to it.

best regards Till

Hi Till !

The Carfrae uses a Lowther DX4. What do you think of using that element in the FX horn?
I've just been reading the whole thread, and found it most interesting.
Why I ask? I have a pair of Lowthers, and was planning to make myself a pair of Carfrae's, but accidently came over this thread. I'm a CNC operator and this design of yours made me thinking of maybe use that design instead.

Hope you read this!
Thanks for your answer in advance!

Regards
Lars

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.