• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

Ultimate Twin TDA1541a Non-oversampling DAC with tube buffer & reclock set.......

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Cable

Does someone have good feedback using this cable as digital in?

Attachments

• cimg0132.jpg
    cimg0132.jpg
    27.1 KB · Views: 485
Thank you for the feedback Quan.

I am playing with only one TDA1541 now, since there was still some kind of distortion so now and then. I then remembered the 82 Ohm resistors between DAC and opamp board story. However I prefer to minimize the components in the signal path so I did not go this route but simply removed one 1541 and increased the I/V resistor to 1K5. Now having completely undistorted sound.

I also use the output now of the firts opamp (pin one) and do not use the second one, again to minimize components in the signal path. Sound is more open/transparant now.

To be continued :D

Yes quantran, I am sure.
The trafo did not come with the kit, and I have a toroidal like this (the colors are in german language).
So here it is:

1 primary
Black 0
Brown 230

2 secondaries
Black 0
Red 18

Violet 0
White 18

How do I connect in the 3 pins of the DAC?

Attachments

• cimg1246.jpg
    cimg1246.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 373
tingtong5 said:
black= +18V (DAC)
brown en black together = 0V (DAC)
red= -18V (DAC)

By the way I am using torodial transformers as well..

Regards,

Ronald

Hi Ronald,
Black and brown are primaries, they go to mains, not to the dac... maybe you could revise your suggestion... Thanks in advance.
I re-post the colors scheme and the pic.

1 primary
Black 0
Brown 230

2 secondaries
Black 0
Red 18

Violet 0
White 18

Attachments

• cimg1246.jpg
    cimg1246.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 346
Kooka

You can try as follows:

Connect red to violet and measure AC voltage between black and white. If you get 36VAC then you can connect to the DAC boad as follows.

Red and violet together into the middle pin
Black and white each into the side pins

If you don't get 36VAC between black and white then I don't know. Do not connect it to the DAC board in that case.

quantran said:
Kooka

You can try as follows:

Connect red to violet and measure AC voltage between black and white. If you get 36VAC then you can connect to the DAC boad as follows.

Red and violet together into the middle pin
Black and white each into the side pins

If you don't get 36VAC between black and white then I don't know. Do not connect it to the DAC board in that case.

Thanks quantran, that is what I thought.
Actually I get 41VAC (instead of 36) between black and white... would you connect or not?

How can I squeeze more out of this Dac?

I'm glad I built this Dac. I've learned so much. It's musical and represents good value. But, if possible, I would like to match/exceed the performance of my Ah Tjoeb CDP. This may be unfair as this CDP retails for ~$1,200 USD. This CDP uses 6922/7308 Tube Buffer so I think it is a fair comparison. I've A/B'd these two DA converters using the Tjoeb as a transport. The Tjoeb puts out 2.5V and 250ohm Zout. I am using a TVC before my 1.5v sensitive 100K ohm 300B monoblocks. I'm using very low capacitance ICs. I've rotated 4 tubes: 6dj8/6922/6h23 variants.

My main issue when comparing these two sources is that the Tjoeb is more dynamic; it has more energy/drive/bloom in vocals but instruments as well. The Tjoeb has better HF extension and HF resolution and throws up a bigger soundstage, while the TDA1541's soundstage is more diffuse. These last two points (HF extension and soundstage) are not as important to me as the lack of energy/drive/dynamics compared to the Tjoeb.

My mods are posted in #627 on page 63. I have not modd'ed the power supplies, diodes, bypass caps for Dac pins to name a few possibilities. My I/V is set at 44R presently, and I guess I could increase it but then perhaps loose some transparency/detail which is not desirable.

I'm thinking about building a new tube stage, but short of this does anyone have any suggestions?

Mike

You mentioned that you were going to try USB --> I2S connection. Have you tried it? The source of digital signal makes a big difference. If you use the CDP as a transport please try reclocking the DAC using the 74hc74 board. Without any jitter treatment the DAC is clearly in a weaker position compared to one box CDPs.

One characteristic of the tda1541a is that it sound very polite. That does not mean it lack dynamic. The dynamic capacity of my DAC is excellent. It handles very complex music with ease, no feeling of congestion at all. However the tda1541a is a little soft in the lower mid range and mid bass. Because of this it does not sound bold as BB's or AD's chips.

I also recommend that you change all the bypass caps. I have changed all to RIFA PHE426 series. My i/v resistor is only 33ohm only. I don't think it's a good idea to use high value I/V resistor. I've just also change the tube to Siemens (1958, RCA branded). I could not believe that these Siemens tube can make such a big difference.

Another thing that may sound strange to you is that I prefer LM317 and LM337 over the expensive Linear Tech regulators.

Cheers
Quan

Back to my trafo problems...

Back to my trafo problem, my next step was connecting the board to the trafo, and my problem is that the status led on sk8 does not light. My question is: does that led light only when working (seceiving signal from the reader, or should it light just connecting power? In this case I have a problem, I guess...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.