Ultimate Open Baffle Gallery

Yeah, and I'd probably run into that limit pretty quickly with my listening habits, I'm just wondering what the expected response on a slob like this is, I.E how far does it go down without help.

I've been flirting with the idea of trying a really big slot loaded device for a while. Call it morbid curiosity, wondering how many woofers of what size I'd need to get something that's competitive in output and extension with a typical tuned enclosure subwoofer.

I have a feeling I'd need a used Porsche worth of RE-XXXs to make it work.

I easily get 20hz in my room without much EQ, but my room does not sound good with much output below 30.

I really like playing loud (!) music at times, and the woofers barely move. Of course these are low x-max underhung woofers. I would not use high excursion woofers for a slob with high compression, the whole idea of the high compression is the feeling of absolute control and dynamics. The same goes for this kind of "tight" woofer.

That's very risky :)

Some other finding:
www.technologytell.com/hometech/59783/functional-audio-art-a-qa-with-randy-kunin-of-sounds-by-design/

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Looks like a cut down of my "Ugly Man" design from a couple of years ago. http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/multi-way/215994-first-time-ob-builder-33.html

Eminence Alpha and Tang Band 1808. Uses an active filter with (adjustable) dipole correction as pre-amp. I know, heavily inspired by Zev's speakers, but the filter allows a smaller baffle. That filter and some extra tweaks does set it apart from the speakers they were based on...:cool:

Still sanding my B-hind of to get that piano gloss finish though...

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    277.8 KB · Views: 1,718
Last edited:
But first

Not sure this is the right place for this, but I love cheap tweaks.
Tried a really basic LCR RFI filter on the speaker wire feeding my open baffle Markaudio 12p pair.
About 10 minutes a channel to build, with stuff I had lying about, would've cost @ $2.
And well worth it.
Sounds a little cleaner, and images a little wider and taller.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    299.6 KB · Views: 1,689
My filter who is more coherent with even frequency response. I made a little midbass bump because i like it :)

Lowther PM6A:
12 dB high pass: 33uF serie - 1,8 mH parallell
Serie notch: 3,3 uF / 0,1 mH / 27 ohm

Tone Tubby:
12 dB low pass: 5,6 mH serie - 100 uF paralell

wsVzM4L.jpg

wx24tXe.jpg

With and without notch. It is absolutely neccesary.

DvW9EMs.jpg