ULTIMATE OPAMP SHOOTOUT... Where you get to decide.

Which opamp do you prefer the sonics of ?

• Apple

Votes: 2 5.0%
  • Banana

Votes: 7 17.5%
  • Damson

Votes: 1 2.5%
  • Kiwi

• Orange

Votes: 6 15.0%
  • Peach

Votes: 6 15.0%
  • Pear

Votes: 3 7.5%
  • Pomegranate

Votes: 11 27.5%
  • Raison

Votes: 2 5.0%
  • Satsuma

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Using a laptop and Grados at the moment, can't tell much difference. Possibly pomegranite is the original? And I think I don't like pear, but to be fair, I think that's scraping the barrel a bit.
Will play them through my DAC at some point and ascertain any difference if possible.

Hmmm.

Using a laptop and Grados at the moment, can't tell much difference. Possibly pomegranite is the original? And I think I don't like pear, but to be fair, I think that's scraping the barrel a bit.
Will play them through my DAC at some point and ascertain any difference if possible.

Hmmm.

The original will not stand out. What will are those with extra sonic and distortion added by the amp stages, unless you focus on thd ( people tend to focus on what is good or terrible)

OPA134 has a lot of distortion. Not very much better than 741.
So that makes the test more difficult, than if you have chosen a better OP amp.
Maybe 741 can deliver lower distortion than OPA134 in <680 Ohms...
Martin

Indeed I needed to think hard about it. I was confused from previous experience where orange has the highest distortion but is favorable. I'm not familiar with 741 sound but it is hard to believe if it can sound like orange, which is close to tube sound. In my prediction 741 should have sounded hard but vintage chips do sound more open.

But there is clear difference between orange and B here. They have high distortion (orange was worst) but B is very fatiguing. I'm familiar with opa134 and it is not fatiguing because the distortion is second order.

I have it as a -20db (used here), a -40db and a -60db file. Its from the early days of CD and was deemed "useful" in evaluating how DAC's performed at low level.
Ahhh ... an old friend, I've only listened to this a few thousand times - off the Denon. It really gets interesting listening to the -60dB version, hearing digital bits spitting and popping - depending on the hardware used ...

It's a nice test. I once ordered 2134's from HK and had already mounted them in an active xover, when I discoverd they were fakes. Didn't bother to change them, because they measured and sounded ok. Question for me still is what opamp is cheap enough to be used as the basis for a 2134 fake and yet sound so nice. Perhaps this test will show me.

Nice John. So better opamp should show sharpness in violin? In previous test I found that violin is too sharp with banana, but orange which has the highest distortion can mask this sharpness. Is that the logic so you think the non sharp one is 741?

I'm thinking if the the 741 is too slow that the "sharpness" in the signal gets rounded off by the slower amp. Negative feedback could cause cause overshoot in the slower chip and give an impression of sharpness too so, heck, I could be wrong on my pick.

A null test would be more definitive as to which chip changes the signal the least, but not necessarily which one sounds the best.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
There are all surprisingly similar. I'm going to vote Orange, as it sounds the most open and cleanest to me. Second place goes to Pear, as it seems to distort the least on the choral piece. I've listened on headphones from the computer and on speakers powered by tubes. My impressions were pretty much the same on both systems.

For a better ranking, might have to cut the clips apart and listen that way.

I'm going to vote Orange, as it sounds the most open and cleanest to me. Second place goes to Pear, as it seems to distort the least on the choral piece. I've listened on headphones from the computer and on speakers powered by tubes.

Tube amp users should really pick the ORANGE!
Subjectivists should really pick the PEACH
Musicians, may be the BANANA or pomegranate

Can you really tell them apart that much Jay? Have you tried a blind test?

I didn't expect it but yes I could. If not because of blind test, I will not be so sure. The second test is actually harder but once I know what to expect from each, it is very easy to tell apart (100% accuracy from 5 trials, and I know it is repeatable). The more time I invest in recognizing each sound, the more differences I can hear.

BTW:
I must tell you that I think my speaker is quite special. I use cheap amp (TDA2030A), cheap source, MP3, but my speaker is the culmination of my knowledge in speaker design. Complex crossover, but resolve better than fullrangers. And much better than headphones I have access to.

My first trial was using $5 headphone and I picked the banana. Later with the speaker I still pick the banana but I know more with the speaker. I don't think headphone can do it :)

Last edited:
Question for me still is what opamp is cheap enough to be used as the basis for a 2134 fake and yet sound so nice. Perhaps this test will show me.

AFAIK, they're not in this test, but NE5532, LM833 and LF353 are inexpensive candidates that can be passed off as the OPA2134.

Mooly, I'd like to enter my discrete opamp(s) for some future edition of this shootout - what form-factor is preferred, and how many are required? (I'm guessing 4x DIP8 single opamp).

Last edited:
Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
AFAIK, they're not in this test, but NE5532, LM833 and LF353 are inexpensive candidates that can be passed off as the OPA2134.

Mooly, I'd like to enter my discrete opamp(s) for some future edition of this shootout - what form-factor is preferred, and how many are required? (I'm guessing 4x DIP8 single opamp).

Yes, something like an LF353 or TLO72/82 would probably pass as an OPA2134. If its bjt and not FET then that is easy to pick up, beyond that and its less obvious without detailed tests.

:) Well I don't know if there'll be another shootout quite like this one but if you have discrete opamps of your own then its quite easy to make the files yourself to compare against another device.