Ultimate 4U 500mm Chassis - Who is interested?

Base Plate Option

• Standard Aluminium 3mm or 4mm

Votes: 5 23.8%
  • Aluminium + Custom Perforated Steel Base Plate 470mm to 480mm

Votes: 16 76.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Ya know simplicity is divinity ;)

Wanna dance? :hug:

Attachments

• Sissi.jpg
    Sissi.jpg
    82 KB · Views: 221
Joined 2019
Paid Member
Hi, I'm looking for some real world dissipation example with the chassis.

Can you share how much you are running through it and how hot above ambient are you seeing?

Thanks,
Dennis

Hi Dennis -

Just to be sure... b/c I never can get dissipation correct. These are my "startup" settings for the BA-3.

12 devices at 0V075 across 0R22 => 0A34 * 12 * 23V1 rails => 94W per side.

Never anticipated that much sag under load with 2 x 400VA transformers. ~26V unloaded. Mains voltage is down a bit to 118 vs. normal 120, so ...

Ambient 22C - Base of sinks at bottom near devices ~43C. Tips of fins 40C.

Measured with the el-cheapo probe with DMM. Calibrated with Nelson's hand scale.

Hope that helps.

All -

It's up and running, stable. I put it in the main system, and so far I am very impressed. I need to tinker with P3, but that will come on another day.

:cheers:

Joined 2019
Paid Member
Last edited:
Joined 2019
Paid Member
Dennis -

A bit more data. I upped the bias to 0A4 on the output devices.

I thought the probe on the DMM would be more accurate, but based on the Papa scale, I think my infrared thermometer might be closer.

49C with probe. 53C with my infrared thermometer.

That's about as hot as I really like. I can hold my palms on the sinks for as long as I want, but it's clearly "hot" not warm. My hands are pretty calloused. My forearm only wants to be on the sinks for 10s.

Not incredibly scientific, but I hope it helps a bit more.

Edited to add - Alex ... :D

Joined 2019
Paid Member
I can't remember if I posted this or any kind of a summary. Forgive me if this is repetitive or posted elsewhere. Early on in the thread, Gianluca was most kind to post the study they did for their heatsinks, and 2 Pico Dumbs indulged all my questions re: potential temperature rise vs. dissipation.

Attached is a chart and a graph I put together using data from the study. I also did some makeshift de-rating analysis and put together a really lousy regression equation in an attempt to predict de-rating / temp rise above ambient for heatsinks/chassis not included in the study based on heatsink width and height as the independent variables and assuming the same heatsink profiles and mass per unit area.

Note - from the study, it appears that ambient was 27C.

:cheers:

Perhaps it may help someone. I can share more info if desired. It's in no way complete or in any way reviewed by anyone other than me, so forgive any errors.

Heatsink Temps.jpg

Heatsink derating.jpg

Last edited: