Ultimate 4U 500mm Chassis - Who is interested?

Base Plate Option

• Standard Aluminium 3mm or 4mm

Votes: 5 23.8%
  • Aluminium + Custom Perforated Steel Base Plate 470mm to 480mm

Votes: 16 76.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Yikes! I made a mistake in converting mm to inches. This would be way too deep for the space I have. Just call me 3 picoDumbs, Haha! Sorry to have to bail. It sounds like a great design with picoUMS!

4U x 500mm Toxic Masculinity Chassis

x10 310 Euro
x25 250 Euro

Definite List
Pico x 1 (maybe 2 if required to get to 25)

Gary S x 1 (maybe 2 if required to get to 25)
pwagner x 1 (maybe 2 if required to get to 25)
Hey Bill x 1 (maybe 2 if required to get to 25)
Super_BQ x 1 (maybe 2 if required to get to 25)
Mirio x 1 (maybe 2 if required to get to 25)
TungstenAudio x 1
Subbu k x 1
hifibluedevil x 1
BrianGasberg x 1
GnuB x 1
Gerald1951 x1

Possible List
Blk Dynamite x 1

I want one too, but I am still a bit confused. I am mechanically challenged.... pls bear with me.
Here is my wish list:

4U dissipante 500 mm deep
the deluxe back panel
the deluxe front 10mm panel
aluminum panels top & bottom
heatsinks (full 500 mm on both sides but I am confused... are these UMS or just blank and one complete piece or two pieces side to side) ?
500 mm baseplate (on the diystore, do we order this SEPARATELY) ?

Thanks

Last edited:
It is UMS ULTIMATE EDITION drill pattern.
Does all of the firstwatt amps in the store
Corrects an existing problem with the UMS mk1
Allows way more options for pcb board sizes and additional mosfet placings on the heatsink.

:)

The additional perforated steel baseplate is likely to cost around an additional $18

Attachments

• 2 x 250mm heatsink hole pattern XA30.pdf
    5.4 KB · Views: 57
Last edited:
I want one too, but I am still a bit confused. I am mechanically challenged.... pls bear with me.
Here is my wish list:

4U dissipante 500 mm deep
the deluxe back panel
the deluxe front 10mm panel
aluminum panels top & bottom
heatsinks (full 500 mm on both sides but I am confused... are these UMS or just blank and one complete piece or two pieces side to side) ?
500 mm baseplate (on the diystore, do we order this SEPARATELY) ?

Thanks

No worries, feel free to ask if you are not sure :) It's going to be 2x 250mm heasinks per side with what we like to call "PicoUMS" or "Ultimate Edition" pattern (the one he has provided in his previous post)

These are going to be purchased from our website Modushop by Hi-Fi 2000 | Contenitori per Elettronica | Electronic Enclosures | Hi Fi Chassis, as someone else suggested we may add 2 products: one with the full kit (chassis + baseplate + handles) and one with the bare chassis for those who don't need the extras

The UMS 500 does not exist on the store, the 4U 500 chassis you see there has standard heatsinks with only the necessary mounting holes

I also put a suggestion to another thread but it makes sense to also add it here:

I find the sale of a chassis without a baseplate pretty useless. Does ANYONE ever buy a chassis without a baseplate ?
So, I think they should ALL include the baseplate by default and make the ordering less complicated.
You buy a chassis, you get the correct baseplate AUTOMATICALLY. Simple.

I also put a suggestion to another thread but it makes sense to also add it here:

I find the sale of a chassis without a baseplate pretty useless. Does ANYONE ever buy a chassis without a baseplate ?
So, I think they should ALL include the baseplate by default and make the ordering less complicated.
You buy a chassis, you get the correct baseplate AUTOMATICALLY. Simple.

You have the option of 1 base plate or 2 base plates.

The second base plate looks like a piece of meccano.

You can build it with either:
1 base plate - Stock
2 base plates - Stock + Meccano

Thanks, it did, but I see still only one baseplate, at the bottom.
Does the second one get attached to the top, to add rigidity ?
Is my thinking correct ?

If so, I understand.. In fact, the second baseplate (at the top) would be a perfect place to place heat generating items since they are close to the top, heat would escape much more quickly from the top.

Thanks

Oh ok, I just barely was able to see the black baseplate at the bottom.

I think maybe we are having a terminology problem here.

What I understand as a 'baseplate' is the sturdy 1.5mm steel plate with the holes in it.

The 'other' baseplate is just a cover, not really useful for putting anything on, it is just aesthetic. It should be called 'base COVER' not base PLATE.

So the items that make up the chassis are then:

UMS (holed & tapped) or normal heatsink (no holes except for just mounting), 500 mm
Top COVER (alum or steel)
bottom/base COVER (alum or steel)
Front PANEL (3 or 10mm(deluxe) alum)
Back PANEL (deluxe(holed) or just plain)
and BASEPLATE, which is the holed thick steel component.

This way, there is no ambiguity as to what piece is what.

Thanks

Last edited: