UGS-muse preamp GB

As I opened the package, first I was very happy, these are very nice and professional boards.
Then shadowed thoughts emerged by myself:
Would I really need it? (Yes, of course.)
I will be enough to complete this project?
I don't know.
I'm a little bit frightened now.
Will be enough money and many years to complete it?
I have so many project, and too few time.
I haven't completed yet Korg B1s, Lxmini Crossover/Analog Boards in balanced configuration needs some work yet, just as my F6, which is under rebuild.
Balanced Whammy is my actual preamp, but there is no input selection switch yet. I quite like it anyway, but perhaps it could be better, it have some 50 Hz buzz. I haven't notice it while listening music with my Quad ESL57s, but measurement reveals it.
Four QUADs also needs some care.
There is a DIY Biamp 6-24 Crossover, which is very tempting.
Although I would like a B5 better. ;)
SIT amps, I afraid, they will miss me.

Then other things, like my serious GAS.
(Gear Acquisition Syndrome.)
You know, I have three Tektronix 485 oscilloscope, amongst others.
One of them almost perfect, another one needs some calibration, third one, I know, which parts it needs.
Moreover, at about 2014, I acquired a Tektronix 7104!
It was bargain, about 30$, but without plugins.
I've repaired its power supply, then put it on the shelf, because I can't try it without plugins.
So nowadays I've bought three plugins on e-bay:
TEKTRONIX 7B15 Delaying Timebase,
TEKTRONIX 7B10 Timebase
TEKTRONIX 7A19 Amplifier.
And they are all works, the Main Frame and all of the plugins.
But, it also needs some care, because there is no readout, you can understand, it must be repaired.

Well, it is the best in this story, the man who sold me the plugins, he is a very nice person, you should know his name, he is John Bau.

Actually, perhaps this is the best in this hobby, that I can meet (virtually) with those mans, who can really Make America Great Again, like Nelson Pass, Chuck Harris, David Hess, John Bau, and all of my friends here.

Excuse me for my long and off topic post, but I drank enough beers to not hide my thoughts.
Please bear in mind, it is quite difficult to express myself in English.

Kind regards,
Gyuri

Hi Everybody,
While waiting for some support from miniDSP for the minisharc I use on my DAC, there was no progress I could do on that part so I spent some time on the overall control software to recognize new switch behavior.
I am able to detect now double click on top of short & long click.

In short it means that I can completely control my DAC with just 2 encoders as discussed earlier and I can easily port this piece of software of the UGS Muse.
So for those who would like to use only 2 encoders to control the preamp (and no switch), I think it should be possible.

I started with ordering the parts for the main ps board and the shunt regs that Eric designed.

I want to order also a single transformer from Toroidy that will have 6 outputs.
What voltage and va ratting should I request for each secondary that will power the digital sections?
For the analog section I would like to be able to supply more voltage, like 28-30v . Doing a short calculation (30 + 5)/1.4 = 25, so I will need 25vac secondaries to be able to get 30vdc after the shunt reg.
My curiosity was if 25vac for the secondaries is enough or should I aim for a higher value?

I want to connect the shunts to the main chassis thermally so I hope that I won’t have thermal issues.

25VA per output? This is more than enough :)
The salas shunt drain a bit more current than the original UGS PSU, Eric propose 150mA in his schematics.
So above 10VA for a 24V transformer will be ok.
For the rest, I believe that the control board consumption with the 2 OLEDs is below 200mA and the relay should drain each around 30mA and we should have around 8 ~ 10 relay connected in the worst case so around 300mA.

So with 25VA / 1A per output you are really safe.

Good idea to mount the MOSFET of the Salas on the chassis.
This is what I did on my DAC, the dissipation is slightly high, my chassis is warm when touching it but I have 2 times more Salas PSU.
The MOSFET are screwed on a 4mm aluminium bottom plate.
My shunt current is a bit higher than 150mA though, I run the PSU at 200mA but I don't need to and will adjust the current limiter later on.
Just my experience with the design I am completing.

Ah yes one thing, Salas recommend to have at least 5V min between out and in so it means that for 24V output for the UGS modules you better provide at least 29V rectified at the input. Above is also good but the higher you go, the bigger the dissipation later on.

On my DAC I have 30V rectified at the input.

Hello Alex,
I think you got my question a bit wrong.
I was saying that I intend to power the ugs modules with something like -/+28vdc to -/+30vdc or even -/+32vdc.
So my plan was to use a transformer with higher secondary voltages.
After posting here earlier I a did a small simulation in PSU Designer II to answer my question.
With a 27vac 0.8a secondary winding I get 37.8vdc after the second cap on the clc filter with 150ma constant current draw.
With a 26vac 0.8a secondary winding I get 36.4vdc after the second cap on the clc filter with a constant current draw.
So if I want -/+32vdc I think I need to go with a 27vac transformer or even a 28vac one if you count in for the requested vdrop across the shunt and also for the voltage variations on the mains. Am I correct?

I chosen 0.8a current rating for the transformer just in case in the future something will change and I will need more current, you never know...

So if I go with a 100va trafo and will choose 28vac/800ma secondaries I will have ~90va for 4 windings thus remaining with other 10va for the 2 windings for the digital part which will be 6v/800ma .