UGS-muse preamp GB

Joined 2018
Paid Member
Payments are progressing nicely, thanks for everyone contribution.
I almost replied to all the PM & emails I received, I am going to re-check everything during the week end.
Keep going, we are soon ready to order the PCB.

As for the questions regarding updated BOM, schematics, FW, ... I will make an update with Eric and put everything on HCFR forum for your to have all the latest infos and be ready for the build.
You did not answer my last PM

Thanks.
Very good progress on the payment, still missing 9 persons, I will start to remind them to pay during the week end.
Let's try to give it another week to complete, I would like to order the PCB on next week end (May 23-24).
Manufacturing should take around a week then I can start to ship early June.

Hi all, as I am patiently waiting and reading the available documentation I couldn't find out if the circuit does balanced input to single ended output conversion (so not just omitting one signal on the output).

I have a dac with both balanced outputs 2.7dc above gnd, and a SE amplifier. Currently I use a Neurochrome buffer to convert bal to se. I was wondering if I could connect the dac directly to the UGS-Muses which then converts to SE (nulling DC) without using the optional coupling caps?

Would the DC on input even work with muses?

Hi all, as I am patiently waiting and reading the available documentation I couldn't find out if the circuit does balanced input to single ended output conversion (so not just omitting one signal on the output).

I have a dac with both balanced outputs 2.7dc above gnd, and a SE amplifier. Currently I use a Neurochrome buffer to convert bal to se. I was wondering if I could connect the dac directly to the UGS-Muses which then converts to SE (nulling DC) without using the optional coupling caps?

Would the DC on input even work with muses?

Hi Robin,

The UGS_Muse preamp doesn't feature such bal to se converter with dc nulling such as your Neurochrome buffer which is built from op-amps.

Yes, you may plug your DAC with 2.7V offset directly to the UGS-Muse inputs but only if using the coupling caps switched on for this particular input.
Now if you consider what is a balanced signal (opposite phase of the same signal), you don't really need any converter in between to produce a single ended output.

Remark: the dc coupled non-inverting unity gain buffer module would just reproduce on its outputs what it gets (with offset if present), hence why the couplings caps are placed just right after.

Hi Robin,
Actually they are in opposite phase on the PCM1794 on a single output.
This is to avoid stress on the power supply of the DAC by draining large variation of current according the the audio signal. The current seen by the power supply being constant then whatever the audio signal.
Then you are right, Deode sum up two outputs to get more current and takes the opposite of one vs the other as the DAC make a 180 degree phase rotation in mono mode.
This is to get more current for his passive I/V load. I am doing a similar thing on my new DAC but I implemented the SEN instead of the passive load. Works nicely and cheaper in term of number of DAC used :)

I see your Odrodac thread on the French forum! Now I have even more reading and translating to do;) do I feel another GB coming up or is this purely your own endeavors? [emoji16]

Not decided yet.
The design is much more complex than the UGS muse and assembly need more than a soldering iron.
By the way it is called UGSD now as from a simple network DAC it became another UGS big brother with analog and digital capabilities while adding as well volume control and signal processing for room correction. I will complete soon the rather complex PSU for the full system once the GB is over here and will probably share major updates. Keep an eye on HCFR ;)