UGS-muse preamp GB

@alex_twn

Any chances to develop your project further?
I even not dream of additional HW and support for DAC, wifi etc but just small tweaking to display layout to make better visible from the distance and balance display is what I would appreciate.

I do not exactly how many users of your preamp is out there (here and at the french forum) but I guess there may be some desire for further development your great project with so much potential!

rgds
-jacek

Balance adjustment showing in the display

Hi,
this is what Alex answered me, regarding showing the balance adjustment in the display:

As for the balance display yes this is normal that this is displaying nothing as it will implies deeper changes on my software, but still the balance should work, I mean if you listen to the preamp and play with the balance on the remote it should change.

I believe this is OK as when you adjust the balance thesensors are your ears and not the display, you adjust to correct any problem inthe left/right level no matter what is displayed on the screen.

Then when you look at the balance settings you will see the adjusted balance level modified.

You can always "hope", but he is a very busy man.

Last edited:
Hi Jacek,

I am sorry I realized I completely forgot to reply to your email when you gave feedback. Right I am too busy...

I should look at further improvements.
I can try to work on optimizing the display experience, the balance is some work to be done, not very complex just I need the time to do it.
Then arranging the fonts to be even better is something we can talk as well but I would need then an example of what you would like to see / how you would like to see it displayed...

As for further development I already started the DAC on HCFR more than 6 months ago, you can look at it if you are interested.
Based on multiple PCM1794 + digital front end supporting MRMOD, Odroid C2/RaspberryPi, WM8805 with FPGA / asynchronous FiFo, isolation, precision reclocking,...

Alex.

Alex,

This is great!

Re: DAC - can you please point me to tread over there? I am not french speaking and google this time does not help to much :)

Re: potential new display layout. I am happy to get involved into designing of this. I can try to do some design layouts but I would need some advice from you on what format you would like to get such proposition? What if I would use Excel and map every pixel in OLED to Excel cell? Will that help you to implement this into a code?

rgds
-jacek

Hi,
that would be so great if Alex could fix so we could see the balance adjustment in the display, would be much apprichiated !

Attachments

• IMG_1008 red 1.jpg
    IMG_1008 red 1.jpg
    318 KB · Views: 685
  • IMG_1007 red 1.jpg
    IMG_1007 red 1.jpg
    306.5 KB · Views: 696
  • IMG_3125 red.jpg
    IMG_3125 red.jpg
    240.7 KB · Views: 683
Alex,

This is great!

Re: DAC - can you please point me to tread over there? I am not french speaking and google this time does not help to much :)

It is there => <<OdroDAC>> - 30080995 - sur le forum <<Sources et DAC>> - 1057 - du site Homecinema-fr.com

Re: potential new display layout. I am happy to get involved into designing of this. I can try to do some design layouts but I would need some advice from you on what format you would like to get such proposition? What if I would use Excel and map every pixel in OLED to Excel cell? Will that help you to implement this into a code?

rgds
-jacek

You can map pixels on an excel table but please note that I am using a font lib (U8GLIB) so better to choose in the existing fonts.
There are many choices, please check on the web => GitHub - olikraus/u8glib: Arduino Monochrom Graphics Library for LCDs and OLEDs
I can still load bitmaps (as I do for icons) but I am not sure if the display will be responsive fast enough for frequently changing parameters like volume for example (it should be ok, but to be tested).

Hi Alex. I would be very interested as well to get a full working version of the Display Balance function.
There is no need for fancy graphic display while adjusting the balance, a simple volume number value would do just fine.
Thanks
SB

Hi,
it would be so great if Alex could fix this implementation. Like Algar_emi says : No need for for a fancy graphic display while adjusting the balance, a simple volume number value would do just fine.

Thanks
J.R

Alex,

I made some sketches of proposition of new layout of the displays for dual OLED ( I believe that this option is mostly used). I got 2 ideas in my mind doing this:
- better visibility from the distance
- we do have graphical displays so maybe we can use some graphical symbols instead of text:)

Following your suggestion I pick some standard fonts from u8glib library and all graphical symbols are being proposed in the places which do not change rapidly so performance of loading bitmaps should not be an issue.

This is only a proposition, I am just throwing idea to discuss and explore :)

rgds
-jacek

Attachments

• display proposition.JPG
    display proposition.JPG
    117.6 KB · Views: 676
  • New_display_proposition.zip
    76.2 KB · Views: 62
Last edited:
Thanks Jacek,

This is nice from you and I believe you must have spend some time to draw this excel.
I'll look at this carefully.
I think I will first implement the balance in a graphic way with the current GFX layout as several person are pushing then I will look at how to integrate more graphic elements as you show here.

Hello,
I implemented the balance as requested.
Now you have a visualization on the display of the balance value at each press on the remote control.
After a short time the display gets back to main volume display.
This is v2.92 of the FW that I need to upload, not done yet as I plan to optimize some SPI routine with DMA control (stuff that I did on my new DAC project using the same controller but not yet back ported on the Muse).
Alex.