• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

µFonkenSET solid Cedar Flat-Pak prototypes

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
...absolutely mouthwatering finish...outstanding Dave!
Mario

Dave is only a common distribution point. Bernie machined the flat-pak, Chris dis the assembly, finish, and feedback (the guides to easy assembly are going to change, the biscuits did not work that well).

All i did were the drivers and attach the logo-badge.

dave

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
The woodwork is top notch, and very nice color and finish - makes for a refined and elegant µFonkenSET.

One thing that the hastily snapped picture does not show, is that the baffles (on this pair at least) are mirrored. Another quick pic...

uFonkenSET-Cedar-1-2.jpg

dave

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
I don't see these on the planet10 site - any details? They look fantastic.

Liam,

These have not made the site yet. This is only the 3rd pair in existance (a 2nd beta flat-pak is being packaged to ship to Scott in the UL and a set might be under construction in Luxembourg)

A planset (skimpy at this point) is available for purchase, and we are working to put these cedar flat-paks into production -- the 1st 2 are spoken for already.

dave

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
This is only the 3rd pair

The 1st pair were Bernie's personal set, built with solid locust:

241767d1316998980-3-driver-audition-fostex-mark-audio-ufonkense-comp.jpg

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/plan...ken-fonken-picture-gallery-6.html#post2724089

The 2nd set mine in yew:

uFonkenSET-yew-comp.jpg

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/plan...en-fonken-picture-gallery-10.html#post2986659

Bernie will entertain building unique art piece builds -- at the premium one should expect for a bespoke piece of art.

We will also be doing a comparison of all 3 pairs soon to see what sonic differences can be detected, and then we should build a plywood set and see how they do.

dave

...thanks for the correction Dave...my apologies to Bernie and Chris who weren't included in my original congratulatory message....soooo: Congratulations Bernie, Chris and Dave for such a beautiful piece of art!

PS: note praise recipients listed in alphabetical order ;)

Regards,
Mario

Joined 2007
Paid Member
> a set might be under construction in Luxembourg.

Uh,oh, I'm embarrassed to say to I've only built two regular pairs of the uFonken (not the uFonkenSET) with the Fostex FF85WK so far.
The uFonkenSET cabinet was a bit to fiddly for the spare hobby time I had.
Moreover a MarKen 7.3 is in the works (and stuck since a few months).

The uFonken with the FF85WK (enabl'd) is playing *V E R Y* well.
Perhaps I repeat myself but the soundstage and musicality of these is exceptional/stunning/unbelievable in my near-field listening setup.

The uFonkens are sitting on regular speaker stands at ear-height.
My seat is approx 1.5 metres away from the uFonkens.
They are toed in for the acoustical centre to meet *behind* my head.
Set-up this way, they completely disappear and give a 3D sound stage.

They play "Small girl with guitar"-songs very convincingly by themselves and need some woofer support for playing Pink-Floyd stuff.

Just my $0.1 of unsollicited impressions... :D
Yves

an unsolicited comment re Cedar - very soft - easily scratched with a fingernail (can be sanded out though), be extra careful with padded clamping cauls, etc and carefully size your screw pilot holes

yes, the 85WK is even more magical than its predecessor - quite a feat

Just a quick question... In my miniOnken build so far, I've used some local mahogany for the spacers. If I were to try and make a whole build out of mahogany, does the recommendation for different material for the spacer still apply? (i.e., should I make the spacers out of plywood / MDF this time around? )

Yes, dissimilar material is recommended. Even thou we often don't follow that advice ourselves.

dave

If we extend this recommendation to more areas of speaker building, would you also advise:

1. Mixing of plys - use slightly different make/quality for differnet panels?
2. Some variation in thickness - thicker baffle and bottom vs sides and top?
3. Different thickness for bracing material (i.e. 15mm bracing for 18mm overall build)?

These questions might be :whacko: though!

Regards,
Zia

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.