UCD180 questions

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Front panels in Europe

There are still options here for us Europeans!
Frontpanel Express, LLC is based in Germany. They are called
Schaeffer Aparatebau. I think all companies ship overseas
though. However, the shipping cost will easily double
the price of the enclosures. Maybe it's best to buy the
chassis at audiokit.it and have someone design the front
panel separately if you want a high-end look. This is at least
what I plan to do with my UCD400 and preamp.

Regards,

Michael

Re: Front panels in Europe

mlihl said:
Frontpanel Express, LLC is based in Germany.

I'll look into that

Maybe it's best to buy the

Have you checked the shipping? Shipping for a 3kg case to anyware in europe costs more then the price of the case ...

a sort-of compliment to hypex & bruno...

the problem with this whole ucd180 thing is that it's so detailed and accurate that shitty recordings really sound like poop. And that is an unmodded version. (rev. 2). On the other hand, good recordings sound *really* good...

My previous amp (a gainclone) put a nice, warm blanket over all of the deficiencies in the recordings. Well, not only over the deficiencies but more like over everything. That amp has a true signature. Graffiti markings, more like, in comparison with this one.

That is, with my big ugly old b&w 220i speakers...

For instance, one of my Orff's Carmina Burana cd's (emi classics, franz welser-most), barbara handricks, j black, m chance). A nice performance of a great collection of songs. But the recording... With the 'clone it was still acceptable although not great. With the ucd180 it's downright annoying.
Rinaldo Allesandrini's performance of Pergolesi & Verdi's Stabt Mater otoh, sounds great.

And whoops there goes half of my cd collection. verdorie!

matjans said:
well gee thanks :h_ache:
whomever said ignorance is bliss deserves a big hug

2 more questions...

1. has anyone tried replacing the ne5532 with an ad826? if yes, does it have a large impact on sound quality (if any)?

2. a voltage rating of 6,3V for the coupling cap after the opamp should be enough, shouldn't it?

yes it's my current configuration
AD826 biased with cascode fets at 3mA+no interstage caps + external power supply with 30VA r-core transformer (electrostatic screen ) and CRC filter
the sound is magic but there is a little offset of about 150mV at the amp output ( you must have 10K input impedance )
I found that configuration better than AD8620 , but AD8620 is really improved by the external PS and biased with 3mA ( the by-passing caps on pin-/pin+/ground had a big influence on AD8620 presentation with the on-board supply and it was difficult to find the right sound )
Also i've replaced my Elna main caps with big EPCOS Sikorel 105 15000/63 and it's an improvement (the best caps i've tried )

alain

Re: Front panels in Europe

mlihl said:
Frontpanel Express, LLC is based in Germany. They are called
Schaeffer Aparatebau. I think all companies ship overseas
though. However, the shipping cost will easily double
the price of the enclosures. Maybe it's best to buy the

Regards,

Michael

Hi,

Schaeffer Apparatebau is an excellent one.

Here's what they have fabricated for me a few weeks ago.
Actually, only limit is your own imagination - and I obviously lack of it, hence the déja vu looks of the Zenquitos ;)

Thierry

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

I don't quite get their instructions. Does it mean that they will also supply you with the top and bottom bits of a case as well?

How does it work out in price for a complete case with standard sides and top/bottom? What are the top/bottom made from? Is it easy to use the side profiles as headsink? (Looks like the profile is more for attaching boards to with lots of slots..?)

Interesting site though!

Dead easy :

1 - Download their Frontpanel Designer software here => FPD3.2

2 - let your imagination work

3 - complete order (within the software)

4 - you're done :cool:

However : you must build your own chassis, because they only engrave / cut / drill anodized the front panel aluminium to your own specifiations.

There are many enclosures available on the market. I built mine myself (much cheaper and very easy).

Hope it helps

Thierry

Re: Re: Front panels in Europe

Thmartin said:

Hi,

Schaeffer Apparatebau is an excellent one.

Here's what they have fabricated for me a few weeks ago.
Actually, only limit is your own imagination - and I obviously lack of it, hence the déja vu looks of the Zenquitos ;)

Thierry

wow. cool. congratulations!
i'm only reading here - until now - but i'm really interested in getting me some of these modules and build myself a nice case for them. one fine day...

f.

ewildgoose said:
I just ordered the last two of their 80mm high cases! However, more in next week I think. Shipping is around EUR45 from Audiokit... (to the UK)

Hi!

How long does he take to answer your mail for the order?

I've sent a mail/order 2 days ago. No answer yet. Same with a fax sent this morning.

Is info@audiokit.it the right email?

:apathic:

Schuro

Now we're off-topic anyway and talking about suppliers, I might as well continue:

Have any of you successfully contacted http://www.schuro.de/ ? I wrote an email to them asking about their nice potted transformers, but haven't gotten any reply. I've re-sent the mail after about a week and that's over a week ago.

I think the potted 800VA 2x35V transformer looks _really_ nice. Unfortunately it is 9cm tall so it wont fit into the Galaxy case from Audiokit :-(

Maybe I wont loose much by using the 600VA model instead (one per channel, UcD400 monoblocks)...

The lady at Audiokit is pretty useless (sorry). They have disappeared on me for several days at a time after I asked them to put items in the post ASAP...

However, they seem to have the stock, so...

(Actually, most of the audio suppliers I have dealt with have been pretty useless... Farnell and RS spares are in a whole league of their own in terms of getting your stuff next day...)

Re: Schuro

hansen said:
Now we're off-topic anyway and talking about suppliers, I might as well continue:

Have any of you successfully contacted http://www.schuro.de/ ? I wrote an email to them asking about their nice potted transformers, but haven't gotten any reply. I've re-sent the mail after about a week and that's over a week ago.

I think the potted 800VA 2x35V transformer looks _really_ nice. Unfortunately it is 9cm tall so it wont fit into the Galaxy case from Audiokit :-(

Maybe I wont loose much by using the 600VA model instead (one per channel, UcD400 monoblocks)...

You can have good custom made tor at this URL

ESO Magnetic - France
http://magnetic.com.free.fr/TORES.html

Up to 800VA and you can ask for the right output voltage on request.

You can ask for a 2 x 41V - 2 x 400VA or 4 x 41V - 4 x 200VA if needed !

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.