Type of Pot Needed

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I had an headphone audio in jack that wasn’t secure/connecting all the time so opened up this old 90s amplified 2.1 speaker trio and super glued it down, but in the process broke the subwoofer level pot.

From this pic, anybody have a guess at what specs/size of replacement pot to get?

UPDATE 8-9-20 - Looks like pot is 6mm width on knurled dial post and 15mm long (or about 1/4 in. and 5/8 in. respectively) and (based on comments) its a 50K linear pot. Pics of caliper readings below. Any suggestions as to specs for # of gangs, wattage and whether linear, audio or reverse audio is best would be appreciated. Thanks for all the input already, very helpful for this tinkerer!

There are mindnumbing levels of options for this pot on mouser: Bourns 50 kOhms 1 Turn 15 mm Potentiometers | Mouser

A2176-B45-FA9-C-42-CB-84-D0-1-AECAF6-D98-E7.jpg

Dial-post-Caliper.jpg
Peg-Width-Caliper.jpg

Last edited:
Took me awhile to get back to this project. Here are pics from board and pot, where the broken pot knob is resting on top of the board. Marks on Pot showing TB50K a. Board shows PCB-1721-B.

Aside from not knowing what kind of pot to get as replacement, that superglue job on the audio jack probably needs something stronger. Any ideas on how to better secure?

Thanks again in advance.

1474-E043-E709-4518-A59-A-8-CD9-CFE77-F2-F.jpg

6-E9-FB00-B-2418-476-C-A351-EBCD4193-C804.jpg

that superglue job on the audio jack probably needs something stronger. Any ideas on how to better secure?

If it is an input jack, get a panel mount one and then wire it to the board or fit two RCA's. You can also try hot melt glue around it.
Those flimsy jacks are known to break.

For the pot get one with a knurled shaft like the original or fit another knob.

Have you fixed the clear broken solder on that jack?
I didn't notice it thanks for pointing out Enzo. Will fix.

Still looking for guidance on other pot specs beyond 50K such as # of gangs, wattage, voltage and whether a) linear, b) audio or c) reverse audio is best.

These two at mouser look like possible replacements:
Here is a longer list of options from mouser: https://bit.ly/3fGPg4r

Thanks

PRR

Joined 2003
Paid Member
> Still looking for guidance on other pot specs beyond 50K such as # of gangs, wattage, voltage and whether a) linear, b) audio or c) reverse audio is best.

Enzo already said 50k Lin and he usually knows what he is saying.

By inspection it has to be single gang. It may be rated as high as 0.5W but 99% of audio pots only handle 0.001W, so near zero volts.

Thanks. Went with this one, a Bournes pot (11.5mm body), waiting for delivery. Bournes sounds like a decent pot maker. The shipping charges add up quickly on these re-orders.

LINK

I got a replacement Switchcraft 3.5mm audio jack, one lacking an internal switch. Not sure if no internal switch was right choice. Reflowed the solder after Enzo flagged it for me, and the old one seems secure. Any idea as to whether I should have gotten a jack replacement with an internal switch and if so, how many switches? Asking bc old one may still be a fail, haven’t put the job back together.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.