Tying subjective listening with objective measures/ sound perception/ and DSP

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
It'll be cool if I can get it to work! The plan is to be able to adjust settings whilst sitting in the listening chair. bending forwards to adjust on the laptop is not a good way to get consistency!

If you use a DAW, it's quite easy as these very often have midi integrated. I use an old version of cubase, 5 or 6 don't know by heart.

I have this set up with a tilt filter ala quad and a bass shelf filter. Extremely useful.

Between $2k to $3k, I have all the amplification, speakers, one Stereo dac,and one streamer/server.....all of above avg (mid-fi) quality.
Lacking...... computer (I will not run Windows) OSX or Linux only,6 channel Dsp ,4 dac channels (Have 2 Channels already).....I would prefer the dsp/dacs to be ‘all in one’ but could cobble the 2 Channels I have in if need be. (As would be the case with a ddrc 8d)

And yes dsp on the subs is very important for this setup

Last edited:
I have not tried them yet but I have a pair of Behringer Super-X PRO to try.

I too am looking for a high enough performing X-over. I dont want to have to design and build one myself.

So, it needs to be off-the-shelf.

-Richard

Fully analog? That is something I wonder about, combining digital dsp (full stereo) front end into a good stereo dac , then out into some analog xo like that Behringer,will the full dsp effect still be found at the speakers or will it be all convoluted? I imagine you’d have to skew the dsp settings a little to get the desired end effect.

Prejudice......if that’s how you want to label it!

On the ddrc8d.....would only using 6 channels out of the 8 free up Fir taps or are they dedicated to each channel?

Last edited:
Joined 2014
Paid Member
Lacking...... computer (I will not run Windows) OSX or Linux only

I am playing with ubuntu studio to allow testing of different EQ chains for vinyl replay. It does very much depend how deeply you want to fiddle with things. miniDSP gives most of the solution with an easy to use interface. But the UI doesn't naturally lend itself to listening whilst you make changes...

Ease of use is highly important (computer skillz are quite limited), as is real time ‘on the fly’ adjustability.

I could learn to live with having to do a dance to make a change....as long as it doesn’t have a mind of its own!

As far as how deep? I’d like no boundaries (within reason of course) on adjustability if at all possible.

Looks like the Ubuntu studio is set up for midi daw, ought to be interesting with that akai.

Last edited:
Joined 2014
Paid Member
If you want to do Wesayo style linear phase M-S correction, you'll need a PC. For nearly everything else miniDSP will do it. The UI is ok, but you have to look down at the screen to adjust, which is why I'm looking at the midi knob box +PC for experimentation.

With a DAW setup you are at the desk staring at the screen so head doesn't move to adjust things, but that's not everyone's listening position.

Yah, I’m not saying I need to do the same as wesayso.......just that many of the subjective descriptions he gives are similar with my experiences. I’m ok with getting there by trial and error.....more understanding in that fashion of learning is my opinion.

Can you run a Mac mini through an iPad if it’s all networked over WiFi?

Last edited:
Bob, if you think Windows is too complicated but linux is easy plug and play, then you may have an unpleasant surprise ahead of you.

Also, Bill is giving you good info on the trade offs: Computers are the most powerful and flexible, but ease of use is better with some dedicated DSP processor boxes (although they may still require a computer for the user interface).

Whatever you do, only go from digital to analog once. You will hear the deterioration with multiple passes even if some other people don't.

Last edited:
My windows system is "fighting back". I have the Zoudio amp product (it's in the vendor forums) which connects via bluetooth. Two different windows (7) systems refuse to connect / play music, while the iPhone 6 connects / plays instantly. Further ingraining my absolute disgust of Windows OS, which goes back to 3.1. Yet it's still the most practical solution, just doesnt do what I want - a lot.

So. I have Daphile OS "sharing" the HDD containing my music on the PC hardware. An iPhone player app picks that up via network connection, then relays it to the Zoudio via BT. I consider the Zoudio a 4 X 40W output power DAC, with DSP filter functionality on each channel. I assume all digital - from flac file to power DAC output filter; only analog connection is the speaker wire.

The Zoudio amp DSP doesnt have all the features imaginable - but it certainly makes a statement to where things are headed. It has enough that I think I can make it have pretty good sound, where other DACs and DSPs (and their ADCs / DACs within) have fallen short, to my ears. I'm running quite efficient OB speakers with woofer assist. I rarely play loud.

I think the Zoudio amp is a gem. Enough that I'm considering eventually selling off my other gear.

I'd like for my HT PC to be able to connect to it, but so far Microsoft 2, Joe's will and determination, 0. I ordered yet another USB BT adapter, maybe this time -
I may even have to upgrade that PC to Windows 10 - a lot of work just to hear the audio portion of a video play through your system, IMHO. Truly, that's the last thing I want to do - something else will go wrong.

Last edited:
If you want to do Wesayo style linear phase M-S correction, you'll need a PC. For nearly everything else miniDSP will do it. The UI is ok, but you have to look down at the screen to adjust, which is why I'm looking at the midi knob box +PC for experimentation.

With a DAW setup you are at the desk staring at the screen so head doesn't move to adjust things, but that's not everyone's listening position.

I bounce back and forth between the miniDSP plugin for adjustment and REW for measurement, so there's no getting away from the PC.

Joined 2014
Paid Member
Depends all on the workflow. For sure if you are measuring and adjusting you need that, but what happens when you are trying to do some final voicing or (burn me at the stake) mild eq of a recording that needs some help*. I know some people will have the skills to say 'aha high q notch here, 1dB shelf there and sorted' but I'm not and would need to 'focus in' in these cases.

One area where miniDSP might be potentially very good is for crossover setup as you can load 4 different setups and compare live with the remote and pick the one you prefer. A lot of setup but being able to compare (say) LR2, LR4 and transient perfect crossovers in one session has a lot going for it. For its other limitations the Behringer units would be even better with their 99 memories but wife disallowed the purchase request on that :D. You could drive yourself completely insane with the possibilities.

*I am a firm believer in defeatable EQ. I have recording covering over 100 years and some of them DO need some help. Others I sometimes feel would sound better with a bit more depth of height in the recording. There is no sin to season for pleasure.

combining digital dsp (full stereo) front end into a good stereo dac , then out into some analog xo like that Behringer,will the full dsp effect still be found at the speakers or will it be all convoluted? I imagine you’d have to skew the dsp settings a little to get the desired end effect. [/QOUTE]

[QOUTE] On the ddrc8d.....would only using 6 channels out of the 8 free up Fir taps or are they dedicated to each channel?

Can you run a Mac mini through an iPad if it’s all networked over WiFi?

The above are some questions I’m still not sure of.....

A) I did have a hybrid setup (dsp/passive xo) before and still got very good results, how big a difference would there be in going full digital vs hybrid? Based on the above Behringer that would split the already processed signal.

B) my impression is the more taps you have available the more processing power there is involved in your action resulting in a more analog sound.

C) if a Mac mini is able to run networked with a iPad? I’m fairly familiar with its quirks......pretty sure a mini can run Linux too?

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.