• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Two questions on IR volume control

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello Everyone,
I put in my order for an Aikido 5687 board yesterday, now I'm trying to figure out IR remote control. I've got a two questions that I'd really appreciate a couple of pointers on.

These questions are based on two listing for IR volume control:

The first, is a motorized ALPs POT: 4 way Motorized Remote Control DIY Kit PCB w/parts/MV04 - eBay (item 230523481604 end time Oct-07-10 14:54:10 PDT)

The second is relay control descrite resister: Hi-End Volume Control DIY Kit,LED, Remote Control /V-03 - eBay (item 230523302177 end time Oct-07-10 06:14:55 PDT)

Now my questions:

1.) They both say that the power supply draws AC9-12V, 3Amp. Can this be true?? The largest 12V transformer that Mouser sells is just 24VA (e.g. 2 Amps): F218X Triad Magnetics Transformers

-- So, is the ebay specs wrong or is there somewhere to get such a large transformer?

2.) Which of these two IR volume controls are the best? I'd think the non-POT one would sound the best, but it would seem strange to not have a knob. Would there be a big difference in sound?

Thanks for your help!!

Best Regards,
Stan

Joined 2009
Paid Member
Personally, I think very few things can go wrong with a motorized pot. The conductive plastic types from Alps are quite excellent.

The quality of the discrete resistor solution depends entirely on the PCB layout, resistor quality, relay quality. 1 dB steps is fine. In my opinion, the display board is *WAY* bigger than it needs to be. I'm not a fan of using 3/4" displays when the 8~10 mm (less than 1/2") is plenty big. Blue displays! Gimme a break. You'd have to wear sunglasses when viewing them. But each to his own I guess.

If you want a knob rather than push buttons, go with a pot...

~Tom

Personally, I think very few things can go wrong with a motorized pot. The conductive plastic types from Alps are quite excellent.

The quality of the discrete resistor solution depends entirely on the PCB layout, resistor quality, relay quality. 1 dB steps is fine. In my opinion, the display board is *WAY* bigger than it needs to be. I'm not a fan of using 3/4" displays when the 8~10 mm (less than 1/2") is plenty big. Blue displays! Gimme a break. You'd have to wear sunglasses when viewing them. But each to his own I guess.

If you want a knob rather than push buttons, go with a pot...

~Tom

Great Tom! Thanks for the advice!!

Best Regards,
Stan

My partner in Israel still have some kits he can sell. However, they are not remote controlled, but they have input switch as well. Can be controlled either by an ordinary pot (built-in A/D converter for this purpose), or by a switch (built-in diode matrix).

Here are files he sent me:

Index of /maat

Picture of PCB:
012.JPG

Knock to alexanderzas in Skype, say hello from me.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.