Tweeter resistance

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have Carrozzeria TS-V017A tweeters which have stated 4 OHM on it. But my multi-meter shows a resistance of 10 OHM.
This is strange. Usually a driver with a nominal impedance of 4 Ohm should have a coil resistance between 3 and 4 Ohm (Re). One possibility is that your meter is way off so try measuring a known resistor of a similar value (e.g. 3R3 or 3R9 resistors), and compare the measured vs nominal value.
Another possibility is that the tweeters have some internal resistance added, or that they are indeed 12-16 Ohm of nominal impedance (unlikely). Either way a car crossover designed for 4 Ohm won't work with these.

Ralf

Judging on the images I've seen on the net, the specific crossover could have a film cap and a coil in the tweeter part.

Hi Jon, for tweeters the Dt/Dv rating of the cap( which I don't know the meaning very well, but...) is important so the higher the voltage the better.
250 V is a standard ( thou I may use 63V or 100 V ...)

This is strange. Usually a driver with a nominal impedance of 4 Ohm should have a coil resistance between 3 and 4 Ohm (Re). One possibility is that your meter is way off so try measuring a known resistor of a similar value (e.g. 3R3 or 3R9 resistors), and compare the measured vs nominal value.
Another possibility is that the tweeters have some internal resistance added, or that they are indeed 12-16 Ohm of nominal impedance (unlikely). Either way a car crossover designed for 4 Ohm won't work with these.

Ralf

Judging on the images I've seen on the net, the specific crossover could have a film cap and a coil in the tweeter part.

The crossover will be a single 4u7 capacitor. Usually Bi Polar Electrolytic at 25V or more.

I want to know the circuit diagram which I want to recreate...
I know from the the ratings on caps:
Big round Cap: 15 micro Farad
Square Cap Left: 2.7 micro Farad
Square Cap Right: 3.3 micro Farad

Right and Mid resister: 5.6K ohm

The Left resister is for the switch so not needed: 3.3K ohm

I do not know the values of the coils or how the circuit is connected!
Please provide me a circuit diagram so that I can run my tweeters...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.