tweeter advice for peerless 830883

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
hi jay
thx for the scaling help. i´ve got every component for the reduced BSC version and the other one here, except the 2mH <0.2 ohm coil, i believe there will be a large break-in at the response if i use this one:

SP 0,22 mH / 0,6 mm
Height 12 mm
Diameter 25 mm
Wire diameter 0,6 mm
Internal resistance 0,5 Ohm

hi

after a very long time away i wanted to post the impedance curve of the progress.
the crossover was developed by a friend, a "good man" too.. he developed a dipole sub for me and i am very satisfied with the result, so i relied on him again.
for sure i will try jays crossover in the future. comparison is never false i believe. after drawing the crossover i will post the schematics too.

my new mic preamp is ordered so i can do frequency response measurements. my last amp told me the response would be very flat. but my soldering is very poor so i.. another day :D

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

hi all,
i got some, for me- VIP visit the last days.
here we go, the impedance measurement is kinda noisy, but the meaning of it is hopefuly visible though:

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

we didnt save the arta frequency response though, i will try to reproduce it.
the crossover is radial, so a little bit hard to redraw.
the sound is in fact superior with a little equalizer tweak in the high frequencies.
nearfield with low crossover frequency.
always believe your ears buddies :D

greets,
flexus

Hi Flex, its me *g

Hi all

There were several problems. I forgot my preamp, and so i had to fix flexus SMD pre. His 9V electret Mic is not accurate above 5kHz.

The PC-noise was to high, in fact we had 20dB s/n-ratio

So I designed the crossover mainly by ear, with measured phase. Both drivers FR is clean enough to use a simple design. I also noticed that Flexus listens at extrem low output, so i tryed a very low crossover point.

Crossover is 3rd order electrical @ 1600Hz

The speakers are designd for half-space use on a table at nearfield. The room reverb in his listening room is very high, so this is the only way to achieve good sound.

The design is exotic, but sounds as good as most of the commercial studio monitors i know.
It has to do with the shape of the summed wavefront and the directivity, take a look at professional midhorn designers and there tricks if you want to know more. Keeping the form of the wavefront in mind is not state of the art, so the only thing I could hope for in a forum is pointless arguing. It would be measurealble if someone got a dozend mics in an array...

Only way is to find a tradeoff between "design by ear" and measurement. FR should remain flat, phase coherent. But there are always multible ways to get there. And some are sounding better than others (roomresponse, psychoacoustics, Blauertsche Bänder) although there might be some problems with distortion at higher levels. This is my favorit trade-off, specialy when the "customer" listens at 70dB and still worries about the neighbours *g.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.