Tweaking Overnight Sensation MTM Crossover to use 4 Ohm version of HiVi B4N

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi, I'm starting on my first ever loudspeaker project, a pair of Overnight Sensation MTMs.

To complicate things a bit I've bought a special 4 Ohm version of the HiVi B4N woofer that a friend had a surplus of. He had them custom made like that from the factory.

I am making the version with the HiVi T20 tweeter btw.

The original schematic is this:

Screen Shot 2016-09-22 at 17.04.54.png

How do I go about modifying it to use the 4 Ohm woofers instead?

And I am a complete noob, as I said, I have never made a crossover before :eek: … But I really hope it's possible :) !

It's not going to work right.
The speakers themselves will have different characteristics to the 8ohm versions.
The crossover circuit is designed to take advantages of the 8ohm speakers in parallel to match levels with the tweeter. Your amp may not like it if you try that with the 4ohm versions. Plus it'll sound rancid.

Damnit, now I've gotten grumpy!
Just had to ask Partexpress if International Economy Shipping has a problem or if it's been terminated to the UK. It used to be well worth it if spending say $50-$60 and you could see the prices all up front.

In the OP's case, say $80-$90 landed for the woofers.

eriksquires said:
What a mess. The big problem is you need detailed impedance charts for the 4 Ohms, or your screwed.

Should have made my LM-1C's with the Peerless woofers instead....

I got the charts now, though:

View attachment B4N-4 specification B2013.5.6 soren.pdf

And your LM-1C looks nice but quite a bit more expensive!

Hmmmm,
Actually, by getting a quote from Parts Express eBay store, I got a price of around $90 delivered to my door. Which is about what I'd expect.

Nice, that's much better than from Kamm Lautsprecher Internet-Shop :) .

giralfino said:
Don't do it, you'll blow your amp with a 2 Ohm impedance.

What about putting the woofers in series instead, then, to get 8 Ohm again?

I got the charts now, though:

View attachment 572402

And your LM-1C looks nice but quite a bit more expensive!

<<<<<SNIP>>>>>

You may find someone over at P.E.'s Tech-Talk forum who's willing to take a crack at properly redesigning the original network ( with your woofers wired in series as an 8 ohm load ).

Running your woofers wired that way is your best bet at salvaging your situation. You'll then need to attenuate the tweeter somewhat by increasing the value of R1 .

Running the woofers as an 8 ohm load ( instead of 4 ohms ) means that ( nominally ) inductor values get doubled while capacitor values are halved.
R2, likely increases to 3 ohms. These changes only apply to the woofer portion of the network.

:)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.