• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

Tubelab Inc is ceasing operations as of the end of 2023

George, sorry to hear you are closing down your business. The SSE I built 2 yrs ago has been rock solid, no issues so far.

Would love to purchase more boards if you still have the SSE and TSE-II in your stash. Can't PM you now as my account is still under moderation, probably because it has been quite a while since I last logged-in. Would appreciate if you can PM me. thanks.

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Once upon a time a PCB was a way to preserve a design and monetise it, but now with online PCB suppliers it is trivial and astoundingly cheap to replicate PCBs.
George, not my intend to hijack your thread, but to the subject quoted: I've done some designs with board including a small microprocessor with even a trivial task like in the HV delay in the diyaudio store. That seems to deter a lot of copycats. It's trivial to reverse engineer, but it will take maybe a full day and they can copy other designs in an hour or so.

Thanks again for all your contributions. diyaudio will not be the same without Tubelab, but hopefully others will take over the torch. Like Tom C does in the solid state department.

Jan

Reactions: 1 users
I was wondering if there are others here considering ordering boards whilst the timing is still right for George? I could put a TSE II board away for the future. I would also like to continue to follow the Unset saga, and if I have a couple of those boards I can perhaps participate down the line. The universal driver sounded like an interesting concept too.

If there are others mulling over an order, if we were to start a thread "Santa's list" then we could state our interest and see what demand there is.

The user @snapper has organised a board for the Merlin RIAA, over on the main forum, and he has organised it so that the orders go direct to our homes from the PCB manufacturer. Could that be a less labour intensive model for getting the boards out there?

• Thank You
Reactions: 1 user
@grataku - George says right on his site that he gets far more emails than he can read. The ordering instructions remain the same, have some faith, launch a paypal payment at his address with clear indication of what boards you want to buy and include the calculated shipping. I'm about to go do that right now. :)

Thank you for all you have done George. Here's a story for you. My original TSE that I built in 2018 is still running to this day. I built it during the months my wife was pregnant with our first child. I finished the build late one Friday night and decided to wait until the next morning to move it into the living room to listen to it for the first time. That same night my wife went into labor and our baby girl was born Saturday morning. The 3 of us arrived home a couple days later and I had forgotten all about the amplifier. One night in the living room while helping my wife with the baby, I spotted the amp and decided to get it all plugged in for a listen. The first thing every played on my TSE was a "Baby Bach: Baby Classics" CD someone gifted us. I literally wept. That moment was so emotional for me. To see my beautiful perfect daughter and also see and hear the culmination of months of slow work on the amplifier similarly be born into life.

Reactions: 5 users
Hi George, thank you for sharing your designs/schematics via Tubelab site. I had used some of your 45 tube designs for my amps to great effects (CCS is one of them). If you still have any TSE-II boards, can I get two? Can you PM me since I'm still under moderation? Thanks.

Joined 2011
Paid Member
Very sorry to just discover this news. I haven't been around much. I do understand, George, and I am sure it wasn't an easy decision to make. Thanks for all that you have done for the DIYaudio community! I am still very much loving my SSE, and your support during my build was amazing! I will never forget that.

However, I am now in a panic because I have always intended to buy more boards and never got around to it. I saw your update in the first post about ordering more SSE boards. Just don't want to waste your time sending you money if the boards are already spoken for. Please confirm whether I still have a chance at at least one SSE board. Thanks in advance.

Joined 2011
Paid Member
or something unique happens like the guy whose board played but caps kept exploding. It turned out to be a dead short in a brand new Hammond power transformer between the 5 volt and 6.3 volt windings. This puts B+ on the heaters but oddly blew no tubes. The little mylar bypass cap had a rough time though.
:D This is exactly the memory that I will never forget (as mentioned in the above post)! I learned about troubleshooting, but more importantly about patience. THANK YOU!

However, I am now in a panic because I have always intended to buy more boards and never got around to it. I saw your update in the first post about ordering more SSE boards. Just don't want to waste your time sending you money if the boards are already spoken for. Please confirm whether I still have a chance at at least one SSE board. Thanks in advance.

For some reasons, George doesn't check this thread much. Contact him via TubeLab site (tech.at.tubelab.com), he's pretty responsive there. Got my TSE-II boards through the email.

I just updated the board inventory list that is in post #1 of this thread to reflect a resupply order that arrived Yesterday. After receiving an "how many SSE boards do you have.....send them to me" order, I got s few more of each board. Even if Tubelab Inc goes away at the end of the year, I regularly use my own boards for science experiments, so I will keep a few around.

Reactions: 1 users
Hi George,

I am curious as to why you need to shut down? If you are only selling blank pcbs? In the first post you said you have been losing $ so I wonder why? I understand that the cost of a web host that has money processing etc can be expensive but there are other ways to sell your stuff without incurring those running costs. I get by selling both blank and assembled pcbs on ebay. Some do not like eBay but for me it makes selling so much simpler. To be safe, I had to create another bank account just for eBay but that was easy to do. Yes they (eBay) charge a premium for their service but so do other online services. Just add the eBay extra costs to your selling costs to make it up. One other nice thing about eBay selling is that they are integrated with the post office so you can generate shipping labels within eBay, it’s very convenient that you do not need to use the post office system. The way I look at it, ebay is my sales, marketing, web hosting, order and $ processing all in one, that would cost any organization some % of sales.

Take care
Rick

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user