Tube rectification for SS cicuit

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Is there a reason to not use a tube rectifier in a solid state circuit?

It's not easy. Obviously the 'standard' tube rectifiers are not really suitable for currents in excess of 250-300mA which rules out power amps. For preamps/cdplayers/dacs vacuum tube rectifiers should be fine but would likely drop a lot of voltage. Unless regulation is involved this may be a problem. Mercury rectifiers, otoh, are readily suitable for preamp duties.

So, why haven't i tried it? I guess i still haven't found a SS circuit deserving of all this loving care. A tube powered DAC would certainly look deliciously perverse if you're into digital.

analog_sa said:
So, why haven't i tried it? I guess i still haven't found a SS circuit deserving of all this loving care. A tube powered DAC would certainly look deliciously perverse if you're into digital.

The circuit in question I was thinking about is for a NOS DAC. The current it draws is pretty small, certainly les than 100mA ... maybe I'll look into it?

Tube rectifiers...big, expensive, voltage loss up to tens of volts, low current, low efficiency, need heating, short life...

In high power solid-state circuits, the current is too small; in small signal ones, the voltage is too high.

And it's not like tube ampilfiers, which benefits the sound.

dsavitsk said:
I have seen lots of tube circuits with solid state rectifiers, but I have never seen the opposite. Is there a reason to not use a tube rectifier in a solid state circuit?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.