• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Tube heaters AC or DC?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have designed numerous valve mixers and amplifiers.
I almost always used AC heaters elevated to a DC value and had no problems.

Hum can get in many more ways than just heaters.
The most sneaky one is where RF instability "detects" the heater AC and mashes it right into your signal. Many an unnecessary trip into DC heater land has resulted from simply not spotting the real problem and addressing it. Trouble is the amp will always sound **** even if it no longer hums.

Shoog

i find dc heaters, dry, without emotions.....that is why i resist the temptations to use them...

I found that with DC, it makes a huge difference if you use a high impedance source. Also, using any caps to smooth right before the heater should be avoided at all cost....

Of course I am talking about DHT's here. with indirectly heated tubes/valves I use AC (except for phono).

Ian

Because, as I said, no electrode should be left floating. A floating electrode can pick up a huge voltage and then affect valve operation. If you are lucky, this won't happen but why risk it when the solution is so simple and harmless?

I will play the devils advocate , what if it sounds better? gives more free electrons to the cathode, idk.:scratch1:

what if it sounds better? gives more free electrons to the cathode, idk.:scratch1:
13twz6.jpg

gabdx said:
I will play the devils advocate , what if it sounds better? gives more free electrons to the cathode, idk.
If you are lucky it won't sound any different. If it does sound different then it is overwhelmingly likely to have more distortion; some people may prefer this.

I am unclear whether you are just trying to be amusing, or trying to justify poor engineering.

I'm doing a 6SN7 preamp layout right now. So far all the mock-ups have worked great with DC.

On the board Im thinking the filament should be bypass as shown. I have a bag of .047 600V MKS good for power filtering.

The preamp is designed specifically to operate on ultra cheap ebay switching supplies. A $1 bucking supply feeds heater.

Its hybrid CFP and uses Plus 24 and minus 24 VDC. The Plus 24 also feeds one TPA3116 d power amp. I listening to it right now.

The pre board is for a mono block.

So any opinions on bypassing, the goal is keeping switching noise down.
I don't hear any now but since probably one pass on the board fab I want to get it right.

pic attached

-bruce

Attachments

• Heater-Bypass.jpg
    Heater-Bypass.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 430
This applies to DH types, and is related to the "disappearing cathode" phenomenon. The plate voltage, as seen from the cathode, isn't very high, five volts or so. The voltage differential along a DH cathode can go positive, during negative grid downswings, and low Ip. That part of the cathode simply "disappears", and alters the characteristic from a 1.5 law device to a 2.5 or even a 3.5 law characteristic with nastier harmonics that don't roll off with increasing frequency as fast.

I am very interested in the underpinnings of directly heated tube distortion differences relative to indirectly heated types. Can you cite any useful references on this topic?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.