tuba vs taphorn?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Choices - Choices

Hi nephylum,

For a dual 8" tapped horn I recommend:

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/subw...ped-horn-th-spud.html?perpage=25&pagenumber=1

With the Tang Band W8-740, or the CSS Trio-8 (and for cheap, with the MCM 55-2421).

For a 20Hz tapped horn you cannot go wrong with the LAB12 in the Don Snyder enclosure:

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/subwoofers/143714-lab12-tapped-horn.html

On paper the 19Vo.2 presented here beats both of those, but both of those have been build and tested.

Maybe bjorno can plug the Digital Design 1508 into Hornresp (don't look good for anything vented).

Regards,

Attachments

• TH_19Ov2_2nd_Input_SPL.jpg
    TH_19Ov2_2nd_Input_SPL.jpg
    82.8 KB · Views: 306
Last edited:
Hi GM,

Nice paper, but what does it really say about a subwoofer that is driven with steep filters above and below a narrow passband?

I doubt Tom Danley would have used a 5mH series inductor in the DTS-20 if he thought it would be detrimental to the sound.

Hornresp will properly handle the effects of a series inductor if you add the inductance to Le and the resistance (DCR) of the inductor to Rg. The quality of the inductor used is most important, as it sees the full loudspeaker current, and will heat up accordingly, so in general you would not use one unless you have to, especially for PA applications.

Greets!

Not a heck of a lot, but then it's irrelevant to my comment about the driver's relative design quality and the answer I gave to epa's question it generated.

To me, the more salient point is that this was his first TH and the only one to use one and based on my experience with high Le drivers, I'm thinking that cost wasn't the only reason.

It does. Right, and why I don't recommend them, especially since its minor smoothing effects is totally wasted on a < 80 Hz XO'd TH.

GM

2 of these 8" subs in a th i think would be awesome.

OK, I guess for a small room app, though even then it will need a lot of Xmax.

BTW, where did you find its specs? I couldn't find them on DD's website or Googling. Also, I noticed that on the website, it did list a much lower 30 Hz Fs and 6.8 ohm series Re.

GM

Attachments

• Digital Designs 1508 ~19 Hz DTS concept - specs.gif
    Digital Designs 1508 ~19 Hz DTS concept - specs.gif
    6.7 KB · Views: 291
Parts Drawing 19Vo.2

Hi nephylum,

Post #58: "...is the final schematic? how can i put that design to an actual work order?..."

lilmike wrote some nice stuff, tutorials, build threads:

lilmike's Shiva X2 Tapped Horn - AVS Forum

I'll also attach a parts drawing with dimensions, you'll have to work out the cut sheet yourself. For what it's wort, I'd build this over a dual 8" with the DD 1508.

Over and out :), Regards,

Attachments

• ED_19Ov2_TH_2nd_parts.pdf
    72 KB · Views: 93
Hi nephylum,

Just some driver suggestion: earlier this year Petter Persson posted a nice 2x12" TH:

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/subwoofers/160879-build-your-own-2x12-th.html

The driver for this is currently available on ebay below $90.--, free shipping:

JBL GTO 1214D CAR AUDIO/STEREO 12" SUB SUBWOOFER 1214 D - eBay (item 380274589025 end time Oct-30-10 20:48:32 PDT)

Just to try it out I plugged two (2x12") into the enclosure from Post #51, and they perform fine in that folding too.

Regards,

Hi nephylum,

Just some driver suggestion: earlier this year Petter Persson posted a nice 2x12" TH:

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/subwoofers/160879-build-your-own-2x12-th.html

The driver for this is currently available on ebay below $90.--, free shipping:

JBL GTO 1214D CAR AUDIO/STEREO 12" SUB SUBWOOFER 1214 D - eBay (item 380274589025 end time Oct-30-10 20:48:32 PDT)

Just to try it out I plugged two (2x12") into the enclosure from Post #51, and they perform fine in that folding too.

Regards,

nice... but what's wrong with your design?

Well, to answer a direct question, I guess the only thing wrong is that I wasted the time I did. But that's life.

Regards,

how do you figure you wasted your time? i printed off a copy of the design and plan on starting on the build this weekend. im going to atlanta for the weekend and am gonna get my buddy to help me build it. he owns a car audio shop and is a very good enclosure designer.

Hi nephylum,

I took no offense, you just asked at the wrong time of the day, they have got me mean busy right now. One of those: the day has 24hrs, and if that doesn't proof enough, we'll use the night. I just had to think about your post in the collaborative thread #3577, pics would be nice. :)

Take care with the woodwork, gaps and air leaks kill tapped horns. Use plenty of premium PL glue. And make large and well sealed access panel(s) for the driver. Also, add braces to suit.

Regards,

Hi nephylum,

I took no offense, you just asked at the wrong time of the day, they have got me mean busy right now. One of those: the day has 24hrs, and if that doesn't proof enough, we'll use the night. I just had to think about your post in the collaborative thread #3577, pics would be nice. :)

Take care with the woodwork, gaps and air leaks kill tapped horns. Use plenty of premium PL glue. And make large and well sealed access panel(s) for the driver. Also, add braces to suit.

Regards,

one question... my buddy looked over the design and said something about the taper of the horn throat. he said it looked off like it wasnt centered. could you elaborate a little on that part of the design?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.