TSSA - The Simplest Symmetrical Amplifier

Sure, that will work too. Nevertheless i build the version with driver first and then we can compare.

I think it will sound better with driver, 50 mA driver's bias, pure class A, 22 ohm gate-source of the output device, real impedance drive only. Total input stage isolation from the output current, can't do better than this in a simple manner. :cool:

What stage of TSSA are you in Gerhard? :xfingers:

in simulation the driver does not improve distortion or distortion profile...more current seems better..It's a tricky beast and small changes means a lot...Think it needs a lot of IRL tweaking to get things right.

We can do more current with MOSFET Darlington too :D

I think it will be better with drivers, especially these ones Gerhard has, these are the best. :cool:

It would be interesting to here about your opinion Gerhard, since hearing both, super simple and now this one in the same system, that really counts the most. ;)

Yes, I can visit you both at High End, Miib probably at Raidho booth, not probably but sure. :)

I design speakers too but that is not a big challange any more after more then 40 years. The only things that are left is radiation pattern and mechanics for me. I do more electronics now.
Yes that latfet drivers are pretty famous for good sound.
Anyway, if there is interest i can build a second amp with high current and no drivers.
This amp already feels like an old friend to me. I am totally convinced that using the output laterals as current fed back current sources is the way to go. High feedback emitter or source followers have problems to drive a complex load. See the measurements in the new Stereoplay.

I design speakers too but that is not a big challange any more after more then 40 years.

One info interests me the most. What kind of speakers has the man now, with all that experiences and background of more than 4 decades. Please say something about your favourites, ie. you listen to nowadays.

This amp already feels like an old friend to me. I am totally convinced that using the output laterals as current fed back current sources is the way to go. High feedback emitter or source followers have problems to drive a complex load. See the measurements in the new Stereoplay.

I'll find to see that, interesting, thanks. ;)

I use high sensitive speakers at home. One is the Suesskind Sommerwind. It has a 30cm Von Langa fieldcoil in a 140 liter double wall cabinet and a special high sensitivity Mundorf AMT over 1,4 kHz. The other speaker is a G-Pole with 2 Enviee drivers and an active bass. That is an M-frame coupled to the backwall with a granite plate. I recycle the back EMF so that the bass drivers have no excess movement. I am preparing a patent.
You can see some of my setups on my MPL thread.

Last edited:
here is an example.
i also have sources in japan.

Attachments

• laterals.jpg
    laterals.jpg
    20.1 KB · Views: 545
TSSA Basic 1.5 - Update

Hi guys :wave:

Gerhard and Sonnya (and others if any interested) please look at change in schematic. 2200 uF/10 V capacitor added to feedback bridge (from TSSA BIGBT HP and SSA experiences) for extra distortions reduction. This elco decouple middle bridge DC from any AC being present because of unsymmetry, secondly it will cause our amp to raise bias slowly from firing-up, some sort of soft starting. Since this is symmetrical design we don't want anything to spoil our little symmetrical toy. :magnify:

BTW how's P2P work standing now Gerhard, do I have to wave the finish :c_flag: :up:

Attachments

• TSSA Basic 1.5 Sziklai.jpg
    TSSA Basic 1.5 Sziklai.jpg
    514.5 KB · Views: 506