• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

Trident Evolves - Version 3

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Trident failures

I have just had my second 1.2v Vdd Trident failure. The first time I was mucking about occasionally, and thought it could have been something I did. This time it happened out of the blue after the DAC had been running for months without change. I have my Placid set at 5.05v, but have noticed that the new recommended input voltage is 5.25v. Could this be it, or is it a design flaw possibly? I took this as a hint that it was past time I upgraded to version 3, but still I would like to know if I should be doing something differently.

TIA!

I have just had my second 1.2v Vdd Trident failure. The first time I was mucking about occasionally, and thought it could have been something I did. This time it happened out of the blue after the DAC had been running for months without change. I have my Placid set at 5.05v, but have noticed that the new recommended input voltage is 5.25v. Could this be it, or is it a design flaw possibly? I took this as a hint that it was past time I upgraded to version 3, but still I would like to know if I should be doing something differently.

TIA!

What is the failure mode, and how are the Tridents mounted?

No Worries...

4est. If you replace with the newer version you will have no more failures. I experienced a couple of trnasistor failures on the old Trident 1.2 V version as well. It is a heat issue due to the voltage drop this reg has to deal with. When I repaired mine I actually made two tiny heat sinks out of some copper sheet, and glued them to the transistors, everything ran smooth then for a long time.
But the new Tridents have beefier transistors and exhibit no such problems. Upgrade the AVCC as well, you will not be sorry.

Thank you Barrows, that was what I was looking to know! They were mounted vertically ala the original BII style.

I replaced the AVCC straight away when they came out and loved the change- better PRaT, more organic.
4est. If you replace with the newer version you will have no more failures. I experienced a couple of trnasistor failures on the old Trident 1.2 V version as well. It is a heat issue due to the voltage drop this reg has to deal with. When I repaired mine I actually made two tiny heat sinks out of some copper sheet, and glued them to the transistors, everything ran smooth then for a long time.
But the new Tridents have beefier transistors and exhibit no such problems. Upgrade the AVCC as well, you will not be sorry.

How would these compare to the shunt type?

BK

They have lower noise and run much cooler. Output impedance is very close. PSRR is better.

I very much have appreciated the change in my DAC since I introduced them. Everything is happier. :)

All around they are an improvement and don't waste any juice from your main power supply.

The have a slower start up time because of the big filter caps - so it is suggested you update your firmware on the B3/B3SE if you plan to use them.

And.... Since i have my dac quite "hot" placed, i started to thinking about replacing only the 1.2V reg with a series instead of a shunt... would i need to update firmware - or would it work as is with only that reg as Trident-SR?

You would still want to update the firmware. The 1.2V reg is critical. We have a bundle where the firmware is given at cost if you get the set. That is the best course.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.