Trends Audio TA-10: Modding Potential?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I just noticed this news the other day! I want the new TA-10.1 version! I wonder if they are shipping only version 10.1 or if they still have some of the TA-10's left?

Trends Audio - News

[2007/01/30] Trends Audio updates TA-10 Class-T Amp, adding a wider soundstage !

Trends Audio launched their new palm-top amplifier - Trends TA-10.1 Class-T Amp. It has upgraded the board to version 1.1 with bigger and better input and power capacitors. Meanwhile, Trends TA-10.1 applied much proprietary techniques into their circuit design, components matching, sound tuning and even the case grounding and shielding.

Now Trends TA-10.1 has fuller bass, improved dynamics, better channel separation and a wider soundstage. It applied Tripath's class-T technology and use their unique audio techniques for this palm size amp. It has only 0.4 KG weight with aluminum case and its price is only one fifth to one tenth of the same quality amplifiers.

Just a guess, but this just maybe the TA-10.1 version? Look at the one picture of the full internal board pic. Looks very nice for $109. Also the power supply looks nice, Trends says it's a low ripple/low noise power supply. The review is glowing about the sound. I want to try the power supply with my new Charlize Amp I just received. By the way Charlize is not the same old Charlize! It now comes with Featuring our specially wound air core inductors, standard. Now includes Black Gates non-polarized N series 4.7uf 50V as input coupling caps.

Anyway I want the TA-10.1 to compare to the sound of Charlize, once I get Charlize wired up and I still have to order the RCA's ect. And I also want the TA-10.1 to check out the quality of the Tends power supply!

http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/trends/ta10.html

Yeap, copying from www.musical.ca :
"*Brand new Version 1.1*

Upgrades include:

1. Power filtering cap: 220uF ELNA electrolytic has been upgraded to the 1500uF SANYO WG (high freq., low ESR) electrolytic

2. Input coupling cap: ERO MKT 2.2uF was upgraded to BENNIC XPP 2.2uF

The upgrade provides higher resolution, a better sound stage & more dynamic, punching solid bass."

They only ship 1.1 version amps now, as far as I know. Friends have ordered 3-4 the past few weeks and all got 1.1s.

hi guys!

Robert and Pano I know/..I've been lurking, reading thru all this of course, cause I'm the one and (so far) only shep1. I'ts a great little amp and even manages to drive my inefficient tl's. And yes, it does clip in the voice range, when pushed too hard. Other than that it makes serious music and don't let the size fool you, the bass is powerful and very convincing. It is in the highs that it really sings though. I'm sorry to hear there has been so many badly assembled units. I/we got lucky I guess.
There's no point in my adding to what has already been said except that it really comes alive after having been hot-rodded to the 9's. I'm putting in a shameless plug for M./Pano. NOt is he only fun to work with
(he knows just how to keep me in state of shameless anticipation)
but he has a magic touch with this stuff. AND he is going to be doing up a new one; that T-100 already mentioned elsewhere. Stay tuned for
audio exstacy!

dweekie said:
if you look at the review from 6 moons, it looks like bennics and elnas from what i remember. am i wrong?

You are correct !

As it is shown on 6Moons review:

open1.jpg

2 vs 1

Hi Fin,

I changed from my vertically biamped D290s to the TA-10 again this evening. Not a fair comparison, as the TA-10 was listened to from cold, but my initial thoughts were the Trend seemed more detailed in presentation, but lacked a certain grip that the two Arcams have. I can live with either as they both sound tuneful with plenty of bass. If I had to chose just one, I'd probably go for the pair of Arcams just for the extra grunt. If I was buying from new, I'd buy the Trend and save myself £750!!

I'll be listening to the Trend for the next week or two and then swap back and see if I change my mind. :)

If anyone has experienced the Hypex modules, how do these compare?

Cheers

Jon

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
With the TA-10.1 you won't get a huge improvement. Trends asked me what changes to make to the amp, I suggested some cap upgrades - and they made them! :)

The new Sanyo/Bennic combo sounds very nice.

There are still some improvements left to do, but they won't get you the major changes like the better caps.

Putting in shielding for the output inductors will help, as will a shielded input cable. In the Trends, space is tight, so the input caps are close enough to the air core inductors to pick up a lot of RF. Same goes for the input path, it passes very close to noisy parts of the amp.

A new volume pot is nice, but not a simple mod. Better connectors can't hurt. And of course dimming that silly bright blue LED is a pleasure!

Putting Auricaps in place of the Bennic can be a change for the better or not much change at all, depending on your ears and your system. The Bennics, Jantzens and Auricaps are all a nice step up from the original little white film cap that was in there.

Putting in shielding for the output inductors will help, as will a shielded input cable. In the Trends, space is tight, so the input caps are close enough to the air core inductors to pick up a lot of RF. Same goes for the input path, it passes very close to noisy parts of the amp.

I wonder if using foil tape would help for those who don't want to cut into the PCB to severed the input trace. Foil tapes are like $1 a roll at the Dollarama and can wrap around the air coils and shield traces from RF.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.