Trends Audio TA-10: Modding Potential?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have gone one step further with my ver 1.1. I introduced Pano's RF-shield. My subjective impression is of a 'calmer' amp not loosing any of the good virtues and a worthwhile mod. All in all ver 1.1 is now indeed a fantastic little gem.

Coming back with my question about the cap 'shootout', I like the idea. But I think Trends has come a good way with 1.1. :)

/Erling

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
skorpion said:
introduced Pano's RF-shield. My subjective impression is of a 'calmer' amp not loosing any of the good virtues and a worthwhile mod.

Well I'm glad that someone has tried it and likes it. Sometimes I feel like a bit of a looney ranting and raving about all this RFI stuff getting into the wrong places. No one else seem to care. :rolleyes:

Depending on your signal path, it can make no difference, or a lot. I also think it's worth while. Thanks Skorpion.

Robert. Glad to hear you got your Silver Iris! How do you like them so far? Are they power hungry, or does a little T-Amp light them up well?

I am awaiting arrival of my silver iris, so I guess I will be joining robert soon. I'm expecting very BIG things from it. I have never heard anything close to 15" drivers before, although it's a 2 way design so I guess it isn't exactly a full range driver. Still, 8" is probably the biggest I've heard outside of subwoofers. I am a little worried about the design of the baffle, but I think I found a very good plan to start out with.

http://members.myactv.net/~je2a3/open.htm

I was also considering the B200 drivers, but when given the choice between an 8" driver and a 15" driver, some part of me just had to pick the bigger one......

I'll be sure to post my results with my ta-10 once I get things together. My current speaker only has a sensitivity of 87db and the bass seemed to be a little lacking with this amp, so I'm hoping the silver iris will help out a bit.

Hi,

The little Trend drives the **** out of those SI's! my previous speakers where 90db/8ohm and I could hear it clipping sometimes, now it feels like i've gone to a 2x100wpc amp ....

This is in a small room tough, but I'm very impressed with the SI's, I was a bit dissapointed when I first heard them, Don't know why.. It was a big step from my hyper analytical mini monitors , to a big sounding musical speaker... The SI's have a very different approach to music, They can do everything... from loud rock to some dinner jazz .

The tweeter is not voiced as forward sounding or overdone as my previous speakers... At first I tought they weren't detailed enough but the treble is very good , just not as overblown. You don't get tired listening for long periods, I can play music all afternoon without problems.

I made some gettho baffles with the provided shipping carton, cutouts.... and the bass improved a lot ... they sound very good without a proper baffle ( I'll make one next week)

I would describe the sound as , involving, huge soundstage, wall of sound with pink floyd, dynamic and very full.

I love these speakers, they are here to stay for a long time!:D

Here's some Pics:

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

I can't wait to get them to play on my TA-10. What baffle plan are you going to use? Some silver interconnects added to the top end a bit on my current setup versus a plain copper one, so that may be an option to get a little more detail out of these. They look a bit small in your picture, but then when you look at the size of the record and components on your rack.....wow. My speaker is an onix x-ls right now, which is supposed to be a very laid back, non-fatiguing box speaker. It'll be an interesting comparison to how the SI's work for me.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Silver Iris rules, then! Very good! Get a nice baffle built and you'll have some real bass.

Below is a photo of an open baffle project that I'm working on now. That's a Selenium 15" and an Altec 811 horn. Should be similar to the Silver Iris.

galloween said:
I'm getting little electric shocks when I touch the volume pot. Anyone else experiencing anything like that?

No! That's very strange. Is it static electricity, do you think? Not unusual this time of year in Moscow. Otherwise, what other gear is connected to the TA-10? Any tube gear?

The surprising part is that the volume knob is plastic! So maybe you are getting shocks off the case from around the knob?

Attachments

• ob-skinned.jpg
    ob-skinned.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 622
panomaniac said:
Silver Iris rules, then! Very good! Get a nice baffle built and you'll have some real bass.

Below is a photo of an open baffle project that I'm working on now. That's a Selenium 15" and an Altec 811 horn. Should be similar to the Silver Iris.

No! That's very strange. Is it static electricity, do you think? Not unusual this time of year in Moscow. Otherwise, what other gear is connected to the TA-10? Any tube gear?

The surprising part is that the volume knob is plastic! So maybe you are getting shocks off the case from around the knob?

Maybe you should keep it inside, it looks eerily like a tombstone to me outdoors in the open grass
:xeye:

I read a few people having a modded b200, but i've yet to find a source after looking other than adding extra drivers and crossovers. Do you have any links on anything specific for the b200 mods? I've read reviews going either way on the silver irs vs b200. Price is the same, so i just picked the bigger of the 2. Plus, baffle design and room size probably had a lot to do with performance that just isn't consistent when comparing the two drivers. It's too late for me now, but maybe after I get these SI's working, I'll try out a b200.

Very good dweekie,

I proposed a simple LR-circuit, like a Baffle Step Correction, consisting of a 1 mH coil (preferably foil type) and an 8 ohm induction free resistor, perhaps of MOX-type, in parallell in the positive lead before the speaker. This circuit have a lot of followers and is aimed at the rising treble response of the B200.

There are infintely long threads on the B200 OB, like:

http://www.audiocircle.com/circles/index.php?topic=19253.0 or
http://www.audiocircle.com/circles/index.php?topic=31582.0 or
http://www.decware.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=diy;action=display;num=1143087829

Nowadays I work wholly in the digital domain for sound correction and sound reproduction. I mimic this BSC-circuit and playback from either CD or the HD.

/Erling

skorpion said:
Very good dweekie,

I proposed a simple LR-circuit, like a Baffle Step Correction, consisting of a 1 mH coil (preferably foil type) and an 8 ohm induction free resistor, perhaps of MOX-type, in parallell in the positive lead before the speaker. This circuit have a lot of followers and is aimed at the rising treble response of the B200.

There are infintely long threads on the B200 OB, like:

http://www.audiocircle.com/circles/index.php?topic=19253.0 or
http://www.audiocircle.com/circles/index.php?topic=31582.0 or
http://www.decware.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=diy;action=display;num=1143087829

Nowadays I work wholly in the digital domain for sound correction and sound reproduction. I mimic this BSC-circuit and playback from either CD or the HD.

/Erling

Thank you for the links, and the description of the mods. I looked through the same threads in researching OB's before, but sorting through 200+ pages is just impossible. It's a bit simpler when you know a little of what you're looking for....the joys and pains of diy...:confused: I wouldn't have it any other way

panomaniac said:

Yeah, it seems like static. It discharges on me and then builds up again... And it also does this POP sound...
but where does this rogue electricity it come from?

In the beginning it was quite strong shocks if I waited for about 15 minutes. What I did is I tried my best to isolate the casing from everything else inside it. It helped. I now get much much milder shocks but they are still there ....

Yes its funny that the knob is actually plastic - but it has this kind of metal paint on it so maybe its actually conductive... after I isolated everything AND the knob from PCB I dont get shocks from the knob, just the case now...

Anyway, I dont get this kind of shocks from any other equipment... even other stuff with metal cases.
Also, I only tried connecting the TA-10 to my Iriver IHP-140 player and the Powerbook, nothing with tubes :)

With the iriver connected I also hear buzzing sound in speakers when I touch the TA-10 case OR the Iriver. It doesnt do it with Powerbook connected..

hm... I dont think its because of air/weather/humidity etc because I never had it before with anything. I think its some short somewhere or bad ground... but where?...

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Sounds like a power supply problem, then. You need to be VERY careful. There may be some high voltage leaking thru the power supply.

Can you find another 12V supply, or even run the amp from batteries to test?

As I said, be careful, this does not sound good!

panomaniac said:
Sounds like a power supply problem, then. You need to be VERY careful. There may be some high voltage leaking thru the power supply.

Can you find another 12V supply, or even run the amp from batteries to test?

As I said, be careful, this does not sound good!

Yes, I tried with another 12V supply - same result.
If it was leaking from the power supply it would be constant? Not static like...

Also I noticed that the blue led in front sometimes shines steady bright blue, but sometimes it flickers and blinks as if the contact is bad.

I think it all comes from the many times reported poor quality control.
I'd fix it if I knew what to fix...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.