transistor tone control schematic

......leak delta75 tone control..........

Attachments

• leak delta75 tonecontrol.JPG
    leak delta75 tonecontrol.JPG
    153.7 KB · Views: 429
The second schematic should provide the better perfs in matter
of THD and noise as it s an active baxandall tone control.
Yes, basically. But note that different component values at both sides of the control potentiometers. In a Baxandall tone control these should be symmetrical. Hece, I suspect a non- linear frequency response with the controls at 12 o'clock. What was the designer thinking?

What a pity that Radio RIM, Munich, was folded in the early 1990ies. I've been there several times and always was much impressed by their assortment of electronics.

Best regards!

Reactions: 1 user
Passive tone controls predate the Baxandalls, and the old passive ones almost always use log or audio pots and factor of 10 differences in cap values in order to get enough boost/cut range. They are also a bit nonlinear, even at flat position. Linear controls would have -6dB “gain” at center rotation, and +/-12 is often desired - and the log/audio pot will allow this because its down more than 6dB at center setting. Early Baxandall designs probably used the log pots out of habit more than anything else, even though linear ones could be made to work better. More common to see it in tube sets, but I’ve seen early transistor circuits using audio taper pots there.