• The Vendor's Bazaar forum is for commercial offers and transactions. Only unmoderated members can post here.

diyAudio provides this forum for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members. Use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

TPS7A4700 low noise LDO regulator PCB

CLEARANCE SALE

Hi guys,

so I have a bunch of PCBs that are without silkscreen. These are sold without any other parts and in batch of 3pcs. Price for one batch is 50€. This price also includes priority shipping with tracking and paypal fee. If you're interested drop me your paypal email.

Best Regards,
Aleš

Attachments

• tps7a_no_silkscreen.jpg
    tps7a_no_silkscreen.jpg
    612.3 KB · Views: 590
Hi guys,

so I have a bunch of PCBs that are without silkscreen. These are sold without any other parts and in batch of 3pcs. Price for one batch is 50€. This price also includes priority shipping with tracking and paypal fee. If you're interested drop me your paypal email.

Best Regards,
Aleš

New price: 40€ per batch/shipping and fees included in price (one batch can be split into three individual regulators)!

Today i tried new TPS7A4700 PRO regulator from Aleš.
Works excellent...Some more pre and postfiltering is done. My scope couldn*t measure noise level. Will try with my friend 60mhz Hameg if there can be measured.
And selectable switching voltage selector is aded, for easy perfect matching output voltage.
It will be used with V DACII (12V-1A)...sound impressions in future.
Thank you Aleš.

Attachments

• Tpspro2.jpg
    Tpspro2.jpg
    169.5 KB · Views: 674
  • Tpspro1.jpg
    Tpspro1.jpg
    189.5 KB · Views: 674
You are right. But if you don* t have it ... i measure noise trought different frequency ranges. For me is quite ok. Similar is with spectrum analyzer. It shows noise trought selected range at once. Then follows ear test on different positions...on my table are salas, teddy, belleson clone, trident clone, amb sigma ... and this reg. is in top range. More info. from Aleš.

You need a spectrum analyzer to measure ripple/noise at this level.

I see Ales has a 'pro' board. What's the difference between the 'standard' version?

Hi Eric,

PCB that androa76 has is an early version of new TPS7A4700 I am planing to launch.
Differences from standard are:
-on the AC side there will be premounted schottky diodes (have lower voltage drop), holes for other diode types are also placed on PCB
-CLC filtering, where L is common mode choke filter from TDK
-For voltage settings there are solder jumpers as before or DIP switch which can be mounted on the PCB, when testing regulator in different deviced voltage can be more easily set up
-on the output are three 22uF capacitors for better stability and performance,
after these regulators is also ferrite bead to further reduce noise from regulator and to "relax" the end result in sound, though short wires are must if using ferrite bead, if not used it can be easily shorted through solder jumper
When new version will be released I will explain these options even further.

BR,
Aleš

Good Job Ales:)

CLC...wow, even better than CRC, :cool:

the little c18 aera is for tweaking ? :) possibiity to had a vias also on the center of the plain cap aera (to try 2.5 mm pitch mkt cap, styren... possibility without breaking the design too to make this 2 caps pas a little widther (but with the same small gap as you did) : egg to test PPS caps which has no piezo effect but not the same result than a COG :shhh:!)

Hi Eric,

PCB that androa76 has is an early version of new TPS7A4700 I am planing to launch.
Differences from standard are:
-on the AC side there will be premounted schottky diodes (have lower voltage drop), holes for other diode types are also placed on PCB
-CLC filtering, where L is common mode choke filter from TDK
-For voltage settings there are solder jumpers as before or DIP switch which can be mounted on the PCB, when testing regulator in different deviced voltage can be more easily set up
-on the output are three 22uF capacitors for better stability and performance,
after these regulators is also ferrite bead to further reduce noise from regulator and to "relax" the end result in sound, though short wires are must if using ferrite bead, if not used it can be easily shorted through solder jumper
When new version will be released I will explain these options even further.

BR,
Aleš

Interesting development Aleš, will be interested in trying out when you get them in production.

Ray

Today i tried new TPS7A4700 PRO regulator from Aleš.
Works excellent...Some more pre and postfiltering is done. My scope couldn*t measure noise level. Will try with my friend 60mhz Hameg if there can be measured.
And selectable switching voltage selector is aded, for easy perfect matching output voltage.
It will be used with V DACII (12V-1A)...sound impressions in future.
Thank you Aleš.

I am thinking of doing something similar; how's your's coming along?

I'm interested in getting a linear power supply for my SMSL M8 dac I'll be receiving in a few days. SMSL wants $100 for their linear power supply (P1) and I am just thinking it probably isn't as quiet as this board -- also the case gets very hot I hear.

So I was thinking maybe I'd make a 9v regulated power supply for it using this board and a 9v ac transformer. Is 12.7V DC on the input a large enough voltage for this voltage regulator? i.e. to get 9v out. Or maybe I should go with a 12v ac transformer.

So what do you guys think about this ? Or should I buy the matching SMSL P1 power supply? It's kinda ugly to be honest imo. I like the look of the dac but not the P1 sitting under it in the following photo:

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

EDIT: do I really need a regulated 9V DC? because there is a 78xx series 5v regulator inside the DAC i hear.

The DAC comes stock with a wall wart 9v DC switching power supply.

Last edited:
So what do you guys think about this...

If the DAC has a 78xx regulator it suggests that is built down to a price so I guess that doesn't bode well for the separate linear supply, though it is the easy option. A traditional worthwhile tweak was to replace TO220 78xx regulators with modern low noise substitutes but I guess your DAC will be all smd so much harder to do.

You should stick to a 9V supply. A good low noise linear supply will make life easier for any regulators on the DAC board. How much current does the DAC require (or what is the rating of the wall wart) as these modules have a max current of about 1A.

Regarding transformer requirements, there's a manual with guidance here;

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/vend...ow-noise-ldo-regulator-pcb-2.html#post4131518

I've used a number of Aleš's power supplies and they always performed very well and without any reliability issues. He has just released a newer version with a CLC pre-filter, which should be even quieter - just waiting for some to be delivered to give them a try.

You could also consider running your DAC from a battery supply?

Ray

If the DAC has a 78xx regulator it suggests that is built down to a price so I guess that doesn't bode well for the separate linear supply, though it is the easy option. A traditional worthwhile tweak was to replace TO220 78xx regulators with modern low noise substitutes but I guess your DAC will be all smd so much harder to do.

You should stick to a 9V supply. A good low noise linear supply will make life easier for any regulators on the DAC board. How much current does the DAC require (or what is the rating of the wall wart) as these modules have a max current of about 1A.

Regarding transformer requirements, there's a manual with guidance here;

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/vend...ow-noise-ldo-regulator-pcb-2.html#post4131518

I've used a number of Aleš's power supplies and they always performed very well and without any reliability issues. He has just released a newer version with a CLC pre-filter, which should be even quieter - just waiting for some to be delivered to give them a try.

You could also consider running your DAC from a battery supply?

Ray

The wall wart is 500ma. The DAC draws 480ma.

So this low noise regulator board would easily be large enough at 1A.

I am not sure if the onboard voltage regulator in the smsl m8 is actually 78xx series.. I think I read that somewhere but the person might of not know what they are talking about.. I presume they probably used a low noise regulator inside. I'll have to look into this. I know the DAC uses very good opamps and the sabre 9018 so I am sure they use a good low noise regulator no?

If I was to do a battery could you give me an example of one I perhaps could put into a case that looks like a piece of stereo equipment, that say gets charged while plugged into the wall?

I also have a Pyramid PS-3KX linear power supply at 13.8V . I could run that to an 7809 or LM317 to get 9v for the DAC. Guessing this would be a lot noisier than this low noise regulator board with a nice torroidal transformer.

Last edited: