TPA3255 - all about DIY, Discussion, Design etc

Nice layout doctor mord. I can see that you have made line length matching. Impedance match as well? ;)

I do have the licenses from TI. It takes a week to get. To use them you well need to have the EVM board before being able to do header files export. But the PCM5242EVM is not that expensive.

I have got different EVM boards here. TAS5624A, TPA3251A, TAS5548 and PCM5242.

The TAS5624A and TAS5548 stuff is mostly that some of my customers believes it is better to stay in the Digital domain than going to Analog domain and use TPA325X series.

But a bad layout in the digital domain where we send the PCM can destroy the performance to a lot worse than TPA325X.

I am glad that you use Wurth inductors. They are really good and as the TI application note points out, they perform well.

BR

Sonny

Nice layout doctor mord. I can see that you have made line length matching. Impedance match as well? ;)

Data lines all have single series "termination", masterclock is series terminated ("impedance matched") at source and all sink points.

I am glad that you use Wurth inductors. They are really good and as the TI application note points out, they perform well.
Well, i wouldn't call them any better than the usual oem stuff, as Wurth only "rebrands" - you mainly pay for their R&D + QS. You can get the same performance from "cheaper" parts, you just have to find them and deal with the tolerances. :D The other point with Wurth is, they sell from qty 1+. (Not i.e. 1000 min qty)

Ever heard of Codaca?

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• Codaca_Wuerth.jpg
    Codaca_Wuerth.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 2,122
  • Coilcraft_Codaca.jpg
    Coilcraft_Codaca.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 2,109
  • Coilcraft_Codaca2.jpg
    Coilcraft_Codaca2.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 2,091
Last edited:
In china they have 3 factories, in different cities than Codaca, but some of the inductors (I used) are made in thailand, those bodies look like some of Codaca inductors too.

Also the big inductors in first pictures, that coilcraft also sells, the wuerths have black lacquered body, inside and outside, I don't think they take a complete inductor, take it apart and paint and reassemble it. The "rebranding" of oem parts would suggest that??

Wurth is not manufacturing anything on their own, they put their name on it and care about R&D, QC, QS and distribution channels.

Of course, they wont take inductors apart to pain them. :) They have their contract manufacturers to make the products. What i wanted to say is, inductor making is no "rocket science". You can buy cores, wires and the machine. If geometry, core material, flux, wire diameter etc. is the same, their wont be any difference in performance.

Regarding the Codaca indutors, i have those shown on the first picture. They are mechanically equivalent to the Wurth, inductance differs a bit (7uH vs 6u8H nominal). Also they are wound "mirrored" compared to the Wurth and without painting on the outside.

The pictures are just examples.

In this case, the Codaca 6u8H is 11 turns, while the Wurth 7uH is 9 turns, BUT, i have a measurement plot for the 7uH Wurth which measured just 6u2H (Plot made by Wurth).

So there is:

Wurth: 6u2H/9 = 0.689uH/t
Codaca: 6u8H/11 = 0.619uH/t

Little bit different.

It could use the same core material with a different centre post gap.

No, the TPA3132 measurements were only done for filterless and ferrite+C filters. Never used "real" inductors with the 3132 chips.

For a difference between 3132 and 3251/5 .. haven't done a (direct) comparison yet.

We had done measurements for different inductors on the 3251 boards, thd varies with inductors and coupling caps.

(But we need to do some measurements again, as there were problems with the AP analyzer. So the EVM didn't measured like specs shown in the manual.)

Do you want to see any specific measurement? Maybe i have a proper plot.

Do you have filterless tpa3132 thd(n) graph with same equipement/more or less same conditions (comparable gainsetting/noiselevel) as your big coilcraft inductor tpa32xx graphs. I was wondering how different that would look. I think datasheet tpa3132 shows full outputfilter thd graphs, because frequencyrespons 8 ohm has some peaking.

No, i'm sorry.

The only graphs i actually found where FFT plots for "filterless" (Ferrite+C) and 47uH+220n classic filter. (both into 8R+47uH)

"filterless":
attachment.php

LC-Filter:
attachment.php

THD vs. F (no load) is pretty much like datasheet. (filterless)
attachment.php

Attachments

• 194_tpa-47u-200n-filt-8r-fft-12v.png
    194_tpa-47u-200n-filt-8r-fft-12v.png
    22.2 KB · Views: 2,092
  • 113_tpa-8r47u-fft-thd.png
    113_tpa-8r47u-fft-thd.png
    22.4 KB · Views: 2,099
  • 142_tpa-noload-fsweep-thd.png
    142_tpa-noload-fsweep-thd.png
    34.4 KB · Views: 2,097
Last edited:
Addition:

Comparison of different modulators at 12V with no load:
(The MAX9709 is running in spread-spectrum-mode, thats why there's much more modulation. TPA3132 is Ferrite+C, MAX9709 is completely filterless, TA2024 is with standard LC-Filter.)
attachment.php

Attachments

• screenshot-stromrichter.org-2016-11-24-22-10-46.png
    screenshot-stromrichter.org-2016-11-24-22-10-46.png
    91.6 KB · Views: 2,088
Last edited:
Data lines all have single series "termination", masterclock is series terminated ("impedance matched") at source and all sink points.

Well, i wouldn't call them any better than the usual oem stuff, as Wurth only "rebrands" - you mainly pay for their R&D + QS. You can get the same performance from "cheaper" parts, you just have to find them and deal with the tolerances. :D The other point with Wurth is, they sell from qty 1+. (Not i.e. 1000 min qty)

Ever heard of Codaca?

Exactly würth sells in small qty. And buying directly from them than through a distributor gives you really good prices.

No, i have not heard about them.

- Sonny