TPA3255 - all about DIY, Discussion, Design etc

Joined 2019
Paid Member
Huge overkill im sure but don't we like building things on here?! :)

Hahaha, you are correct;)..I found that adding bigger caps on the Linear PS really didn’t buy me much. The amp always had enough horsepower just as long as you gave it enough voltage in (depending on your speaker sensitivity of course). My issue with the old version was it was not very open & spacious sounding and I couldn’t make it much better than stock. Luckily (or maybe not) I tried instituting PFFB on it to see how it would sound. It worked for awhile but something happened and it just stopped playing and I couldn’t reset the error light so I gave up on it and bought the new version.

Pete

Joined 2018
Paid Member
I cant say whether my overkill psu is effecting SQ for the better or worse over a more simple approach. I would doubt it is audible to me whichever way I look at it. I did try a 48v Meanwell smps but I could hear it whining. I noticed a different sound 'SQ' when turning the voltage up and down with music playing. Maybe just a change in output level?

@pete turion64....shame your amp stopped working. The pffb implementation is way beyond my soldering skills so I shall stick to the caps for now.

I'm running at 51...52VDC by the way. Been powered up for months 24/7.

Did we ever find out if using the 'mute' long term to pseudo power off the amp has any detrimental effects.?

I cant say whether my overkill psu is effecting SQ for the better or worse over a more simple approach. I would doubt it is audible to me whichever way I look at it. I did try a 48v Meanwell smps but I could hear it whining. I noticed a different sound 'SQ' when turning the voltage up and down with music playing. Maybe just a change in output level?

@pete turion64....shame your amp stopped working. The pffb implementation is way beyond my soldering skills so I shall stick to the caps for now.

I'm running at 51...52VDC by the way. Been powered up for months 24/7.

Did we ever find out if using the 'mute' long term to pseudo power off the amp has any detrimental effects.?

So initially I'm going to use 20,000uF on the Linear PSU.
After I have heard the system a lot with this capacitance, I will do the test with 10,000uF and see if I feel any changes.

Hi,

I used a 300VA Linear PSU with my 3E Audio board. The Zero Zone TPA3255 is also using a Linear PSU

IMG-20191214-114002.jpg

IMG-20200427-225715.jpg

So initially I'm going to use 20,000uF on the Linear PSU.
After I have heard the system a lot with this capacitance, I will do the test with 10,000uF and see if I feel any changes.

I do not recommend using a transformer rectified power supply for a Class D amplifier.
Because the fluctuation of the power supply voltage with respect to the amplifier output is too large.
Class D amplifiers operate on the condition that the power supply voltage is stable.
If you use a transformer rectification power supply as the power supply, the voltage fluctuation will directly affect the sound quality.
If you absolutely want to use a transformer rectified power supply, combine a transformer with a power capacity several times the output of the amplifier and a large-capacity capacitor to minimize voltage fluctuations.

It is, but possibly not with the amperage you require...

DSLRKIT AC 100-240V to DC 48V 3A 120W Power Adapter for PoE Switch: Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories

What's wrong with the 36v psu that Audiophonics sell?

As you might know me i want more than 36 volt (not close to max rated voltage)

2x125W @ 8Ω, 1% THD, 48V
2x225W @ 4Ω, 1% THD, 48V
2x70W @ 8Ω, 1% THD, 36V
2x130W @ 4Ω, 1% THD, 36V

Im aiming for 2x100 watt in 8 ohm at 1% thd

My current amp is okay loud but it's so close to it's limit (max power) when playing loud, that the sound is changing those few times i play really loud.

With this kind of power adapter,supply the voltage is adjustable and i have no tools or skills to adjust it above 40 volt but max 48 volt (mabye a little lower not to push the amp to it's limit regarding voltage and heat)

mean-well-lrs-350-36-switching-power-supply-smps-36v-97a-350w.jpg

Do any know what the sweetspot for a TPA3255 amp is, i have heard some say 32 volt is the sweetspot for a TDA7498E based class d amp as i currently use.

Last edited:
With this kind of power adapter,supply the voltage is adjustable and i have no tools or skills to adjust it above 40 volt but max 48 volt (mabye a little lower not to push the amp to it's limit regarding voltage and heat)

You need a small screwdriver, the ability to put the tip in the adjustment screw head, then turn CW/ACW to set the voltage. You may need a multimeter.

IIRC, Meanwells have a +/-10% adjustment, so a nominal 48v has the range of 43.2/52.8v.