Total Domination VFET (TDV) Amp (using 2SK2087C)

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
back biasing - in principle that is it

can't remember where Pa posted it (somewhere in some SIT thread) and schm or two I have with that trick, I'm not authorized to post

but you got it

as I said - I prefer other way of doing it

there is a saying in my neck of wood - roughly translated - who was bitten by snake, he fears even of small lizard (I'm sure there is equivalent one in everyone's neck of wood)

so, someone to whom I'm related had problems with that approach, thus I'm Chicken; besides always preferring to reinvent Da Wheel

Reactions: 1 user
Back Biasing!
Below is a drawing of a couple of simple versions of the amp.

#1 is simply a bit of added resistance on the source pin to get the Vgs in the right zone. In the two devices I have, one needs about 1.0R whereas the other needs about 1.25R to get about 1.4 amps. This resistance is in addition to the choke, which has a DCR of about 0.68 ohms. The gate resistor is 10k or if that proves unstable, then go down until it stabilizes.

#2 is called "back biasing" where you obtain a negative voltage from the same supply and winding by inserting a resistance between the negative rectifier terminal and ground. I read about it in Blencow's book. The idea is as old as tubes and was used in old tube receivers to develop the negative bias needed for tubes. (ZM, you mentioned Papa did this at some point too. I have not seen it, can you share more?).

Both these arrangements are kind of self-regulating. More current leads to more negative Vgs, which reduces the current.

With this arrangement the choke is directly connected to the source. Not yet sure if that is better, but I find this very neat. I am listening to it now. No noise, no hum. Bias is very stable. It retains the thundering bass at least. More listening impressions later. Fun stuff!

View attachment 1079509
Looking at these two schematics I'd say they show the same circuit, drawn in a different way. Ok, the sequence of the choke and the "1 to 1.5 Ohm" resistor is reversed, but that makes no difference in how the circuit works.

ra7

Joined 2009
Paid Member
It depends on how you want to look at it. In some ways, it is the same, in others it is not the same. See the two circuits below.

Left circuit: back bias, with -1.4V on the gate and +1V or so on the source for a combined Vgs of, say, -2.4V.
Right circuit: 0V on the gate, with same total Vgs. The device does not care where we put the 0V.

The full 1.4 amps of current will flow through the 1R resistor in both cases and so it should be sized appropriately given the power dissipation. The only real difference is the speaker out, which does not have the resistor in the load. Does it matter sonically? I'm not hearing it. But it is a neat way to generate a negative voltage off the same positive supply.
IMG_6087.jpg

In your earlier drawing, the speaker was always connected across the choke only, so there really was no difference. Does not matter if you ask me.

I'd look more into how you drive the gate of the SIT. A proper buffer with a low-impedance output and a solid control on the bias of the SIT gate might be a good thing.

ra7

Joined 2009
Paid Member
ZM already has a great way of buffering and driving the gate. What is being explored here is a no buffer solution, just because I can and because it is simple and fun. There is no problem driving this amp with a preamp that has some balls. I am getting quite good sound with a setup like that. I also enjoy the simplicity and the astonishing sound that this circuit provides. And I'm starting to like the simple versions better than even my own version in post #1.

ra7

Joined 2009
Paid Member
Last weekend, I spent some time listening to the version in post #1, the one with the LM regulators and the bias supply. I had gone through so many iterations and short listening sessions that I hadn't really sat down and given #1 a good listen. After spending some time, I found that while the bass was good and all of it was there, some of the fun and musicality was missing and the sound was sticking to the speakers more, instead of the bloom that I had gotten with the earlier simple versions. So, I started trying various things like flipping polarity, changing sources, etc. Ultimately, I concluded that it is the regulators. They just do something to the sound that makes it not likeable.

After switching back to the "Simple #1" solution illustrated in post #18, I got that feeling of sheer musicality, of being there, and the bloom. This particular VFET has a unique ability to unmask bass notes and make them audible amongst everything else. It gets the complex resonances and decay of percussion instruments so right. It also has all of the other goodness that we get from VFETs. Besides sounding nicer, it is much simpler by getting rid of a number of parts and two separate power supplies. What's not to like? So, I am calling it good and going to live with this for a while.

1660092183249.png

ra7

Joined 2009
Paid Member
Haha... yeah, I tried that as you can see. But it becomes complicated. At a minimum, two extra supplies are needed, plus some form of regulation. I'm sure Papa is watching and sipping wine as he listens to his super simple trimpot adjustable version :rofl:

It won't take long to switch out resistors. I do it using the Wago snap connector thingies. Start at 1.0R and see what you get. If you are below 1.4 amps then reduce the resistance, if more than 1.4 amps then increase the resistance. I would go in 0.25 ohm increments. So, if you get 0.47 ohm 3W resistors, you can make parallel-series combinations and get in the range of 0.75, 1.0, 1.25, and 1.5R. That would be plenty. I wouldn't worry too much about matching channels exactly.

I looked up rheostats at Mouser, but they are pricey. I remember getting cheap ones at Radioshack many years ago, guess they don't make cheap ones anymore. Maybe on ebay.

PRR

Joined 2003
Paid Member
now the resistance is in parallel with the 1/Gm of the VFET
The resistance is in series with the choke impedance, which is pretty sure to be greater than speaker impedance over the intended frequency band. Relative to 1/Gm, the total is "high" and not too important.

Of course some speakers are happy with a touch of un-damping. A switch could select one point or the other.

Ultimately, I concluded that it is the regulators.

Very likely. I would exhaust this venue by also experimenting with a simple resistor/zener replacement for the regulator and also various types of batteries.

Looks like ideally we would want a custom wound choke with a correct DCR. And a second grid type choke which ties the gate to ground through a low dcr and solves the gate leak issues.

I like the "as simple as possible" approach. However, if this was my amp, I'd try to get out as much as possible. I couldn't sleep well with using those rare SITs without being sure the the gate bias and gate current are controlled well (note that it's not about the pre-amp, since there is a DC blocking cap in front of the gate!). The first step would be to measure the gate current and input capacity to see what might be going on. If necessary, you can add a buffer to bias and drive the gate (à-la Zen Mod).

(note that it's not about the pre-amp, since there is a DC blocking cap in front of the gate!)

Not necessarily. It is a question of overall concept and integration. If you are using tubes for voltage gain an interstage transformer's secondary can be a good way to apply bias. With an opamp front end a preset offset can be used for bias.

Interestingly, no one so far seems to have built a balanced version of the choke loaded follower thus disposing with the output cap. The voltage drop across the chokes is so low that offset should not be a problem even without a servo.

Not necessarily. It is a question of overall concept and integration. If you are using tubes for voltage gain an interstage transformer's secondary can be a good way to apply bias. With an opamp front end a preset offset can be used for bias.
If the SIT starts pulling gate current (DC), this current can't come from the preamp, since the DC blocking cap sits in between. That's why I wrote that the preamp won't make a difference. With the current simple configuratation, the DC gate current will have to flow through the gate bias resistor, offsetting the bias voltage.
Interestingly, no one so far seems to have built a balanced version of the choke loaded follower thus disposing with the output cap. The voltage drop across the chokes is so low that offset should not be a problem even without a servo.
I was not referring to the output cap. But since we're at it, I did build a balanced choke loaded SIT amp that does away with the output cap. It's still in breadboarding phase, but the chassis parts are sitting on the bench, waiting for a proper build. See here: https://www.diyaudio.com/community/threads/susy-t-puckfo.379901/

PRR

Joined 2003
Paid Member
A center-tap choke output not only lessens the need for output caps, but cancels the heavy DC flux in the inductance and allows a far smaller core.

But we are straying from the original single-ended available-parts unique active device idea.

Do you find a centre-tapped choke advantageous compared to two separate chokes? Better symmetry?
It's not centre-tapped. It's two separate windings connected with their relative phase opposite from a centre-tapped winding. It's all about SuSy. Take a look at the SuSy T. PuckFo thread and the links in the first post for more on this. Please post any follow-up questions over there in order to not pollute this thread here.

ra7

Joined 2009
Paid Member
^^I appreciate that, thanks!

These devices are very scarce. I want to use them fully and so if I have four of them, I'd rather make two amps of super high quality. I also think they deserve to showcase their special character without a lot of circuit tricks. They also don't need anything around them (think of a 300B or 2A3) AND they do show you what is around them.

This amp is a very easy way to get your feet wet with VFETs. This is nothing new. See the L'Amp thread all the way back from 2011:
https://www.diyaudio.com/community/threads/lamp-a-simple-sit-amp.201655/

I have built this amp and listened to it for a while. There is no problem with the bias and stability. I sleep very well at night. I did have problems with one device where it ran away at gate resistor of >10k. But it is fully stable at 10k.

I also tried myriad combinations of gate bias. At a minimum, you need:
1. Two supplies (bipolar).
2. Both supplies must be regulated to provide immunity from mains changes.
3. Low impedance drive.

Yes, these are not insurmountable, but they add complexity. In this particular design, I am CHOOSING to not add complexity (also I am nowhere as smart as ZM and don't want to spend another year exploring ideas just to do the same thing as he did differently... I want to hear it in action now!!!). And versions with a buffer already exist, so this is something different.

The preamp comment I made, to which you (mbrennwa) responded, is in relation to the fact that the gate of the VFET has significant capacitance and it wants a low impedance source. As long as you can drive it well (current) and provide low impedance it is happy. It doesn't matter if that comes from the buffer or the preamp. What you are talking about is doing the drive and gate bias in one go, which is a noble goal.

With the simple design, the amp works, bias is stable, it is simple to build, and the sound is almost completely of the VFET and you get to hear its character. Those are the goals here.

Reactions: 4 users