Toroidy 300VA 50-0-50...for JLH Hart KIt Monoblock.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Not at all confident about this...so need to check that this will do the job.

Have found this standard grade Toroid on the Toroidy.pl site.

TTS0300 - Transformer TS300VA/230 - voltage to 50 V - Shop Toroidy.pl

Needs to replace a burnt out ILP 73033 (300VA 50-0-50) in an 80's built

Hart Kit JLH Monoblock amp.

It isn't audiograde.....but understand that the original ILP wasn't audiograde either!

Can I understand your concern such that you doubt if this toroid transformer can replace an ILP73033 transformer from the 1980'ies?
Was the ILP73033 MU-metal encapsulated?
You mention "audio grade". Which technical characteristics do you put in "audio grade" apart from that it implies "suited for audio"?

I am 100% confident that the toroidal transformer will give the same voltages as before (with the usual tolerance) if the rectifier/storage capacitors are in order and that the toroidal transformer can supply 300VA. MU-metal encapsulation would provide hum-shielding but also the original transformer had no MU-metal encapsulation. So, unless the original transformer had some shields for reducing noise coupling, there should be no performance disadvantage with the toroidal transformer you suggest.
Whenever you specify "audio grade", it is always a reason for reflection. Very skilled members on this forum have concluded that "audio grade" electrolytic capacitors, unless bipolar, are normal high quality capacitors with another design on the outside and a significantly higher price. At least the price is a difference :D

I am 100% confident that the toroidal transformer will give the same voltages as before (with the usual tolerance) if the rectifier/storage capacitors are in order and that the toroidal transformer can supply 300VA. MU-metal encapsulation would provide hum-shielding but also the original transformer had no MU-metal encapsulation. So, unless the original transformer had some shields for reducing noise coupling, there should be no performance disadvantage with the toroidal transformer you suggest.
Whenever you specify "audio grade", it is always a reason for reflection. Very skilled members on this forum have concluded that "audio grade" electrolytic capacitors, unless bipolar, are normal high quality capacitors with another design on the outside and a significantly higher price. At least the price is a difference :D
Many thanks!!
I have just been watching some very interesting videos on YouTube....on the subject of winding a Toroidal...and am very keen on exploring this as a way forward!

On reflection...don't think a DIY winding project is the way forward.

So...was just about to press the button on a Toroidy TTS0300 2 x 50v...and noticed the diameter!!! This is listed as 124mm...which dwarfs the ILP unit I'm replacing, which is more like 110mm in diameter.
Those familiar with the JLH mosfet PSU PCB will know there is a part circular cut-out that appears not to accomodate those extra few mm's!! :(
Can't believe this is turning out to be sooo difficult to replace this Trafo...
...any thoughts please???
Perhaps there's a source of used/NOS parts out there???

You can contact Toroidy and ask if they are able to wind the transformer in a different form factor (narrow and tall instead), they may be willing to do that for a little extra. Their transformers are good quality in my experience so i would recommend them, but otherwise you may need to shop around for alternatives.

These are from suppliers that ship to denmark, so you may need to check further if they will ship to you, but options:
AA-58057 RM Ring Core Transformer 300 VA 2x 50 VAC Noratel 115mm
Ringkernetransformer, Primaer: 2 x 115V ac, 2 Udgange, 300VA, Sekundaer: 2 x 50V ac, Vaegt: 2.7kg, Mal: 117 (Dia.) x 60mm | RS Components 117mm

You can contact Toroidy and ask if they are able to wind the transformer in a different form factor (narrow and tall instead), they may be willing to do that for a little extra. Their transformers are good quality in my experience so i would recommend them, but otherwise you may need to shop around for alternatives.

These are from suppliers that ship to denmark, so you may need to check further if they will ship to you, but options:
AA-58057 RM Ring Core Transformer 300 VA 2x 50 VAC Noratel 115mm
Ringkernetransformer, Primaer: 2 x 115V ac, 2 Udgange, 300VA, Sekundaer: 2 x 50V ac, Vaegt: 2.7kg, Mal: 117 (Dia.) x 60mm | RS Components 117mm

Thanks Silas...a good idea to ask Toroidy about a 'custom' size option...will get onto that right now!! :)

Why not check with Tiger Toroids; good quality and reasonable price. And no doubt less shipping than from Poland.

Thanks!! Did just that, and I've ordered a pair of 'em from Tiger.
Perhaps a bit obsessive of me, but I wanted both Monoblocks to be the 'same' wrt PSU!!!
This means that I'll now have a spare Toroid...an original HART XT100UK Audio Grade Toroid.....which I'll get around to 'moving on' at some point soon!!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.