Toroidal Transformer Noise

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi Andrew,
Sorry to say you're wrong. It is the DC component created by unsymmetrical unbalanced wave forms, steady or pulsating that saturates the core. ................
I thought my different words were saying the same thing.
It's the difference in current one way cf the current in the other direction that creates the unbalance. That unbalance saturates the core, particularly if the core is already running at high flux.

I thought my different words were saying the same thing.
It's the difference in current one way cf the current in the other direction that creates the unbalance. That unbalance saturates the core, particularly if the core is already running at high flux.

OK So it is.
If you feeding an unbalanced current to a transformer, the transformer feels
it like a DC component and is saturating the core by the DC, not the total flux and makes mechanical noise!!

Johan

At the risk of abusing your expertise;
I am finally throwing together a test set-up of a DC Blocker, I am out in the sticks, so quick access to parts is limited to my electronics 'grave yard'.

Can I use a large 30 amp bridge ( MDA990-2) ? It only has a Reverse Voltage rating of 100 V. Given the type of connection, my thinking is this bridge will never 'see' more than just under 2 Volts.

OK, after 66 posts, I have built a 'DC Blocker'. The bridge (above) with + connected to -. Two 20,000 uF , 40 V caps, reverse paralleled. This circuit had no effect on the noise level from the Toroid.
I had the circuit set up so it could be rapidly bypassed for comparison. (no difference)
I installed my Fluke DVM across the blocker and measured 1 mV or less with the meter set to DC, and about 90 mV AC, with the amp idling. I did see a spike in DC voltage when the Micro wave was started, but the DC Voltage returned to an almost immeasurable level within a fraction of a second, but the noise remained.

Attachments

• DSCN1087.jpg
    DSCN1087.jpg
    847.3 KB · Views: 387
Hi Bare;
If my wife yells at me for talking to that blonde, and I just walk away, I have not really won the argument. I would like to make the amp quieter and keep it in the rack.

Andrew;
Parden the appearance of my thrown together setup, but electrically, it is the same as the Bryston 4B circuit. I still want to investigate the noise or DC situation on the line voltage, but has anyone ever treated the windings of a toroid trans, post manufacture?

Thanks all, for your patience. We may be coming full circle, but I usually don't give up until everyone is ticked off!

Yes there were a couple of reports on trying to impregnate windings of transformers.

Ordinary varnish will not work well.
The big problem is getting the transformer impregating resin inside the insulation to fill all the air spaces. Vac/Vac impregnation is good at sucking the air out to be replaced with resin.
Then you have to cook it till the resin sets.

Probably need to repeat to fully satuarte the outer windings.

Almost no hope od saturating the inner windings due to too many layers of tightly wound Prim to Secondary insulation. Absolutely no hope of impregating the toroid core.

Hi Simon,
I will check voltage tonight, transformer is quiet during 'soft start' then hums (buzzes) when the speaker relays pull in.
As mentioned noise increases when a microwave on different breaker is used, but no DC could be measured across my Blocker circuit.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.