Topping PA5 (TPA325X) : Is a modification worth it? ?

In a properly configured system, an amplifier shouldn’t add pleasure. It should simply amplify the signal it’s fed in the most linear way possible. If the Purifi doesn’t bring you the most pleasure the problem is one or both of these 2 issues:

1: You have a poor Purifi implementation.

2: You don’t like the sound of the source gear feeding the amp.

I don't share your point of view... I have two Purifi amplifiers, Audiophonics and another with Custom Buffers ( I tested it with many op amps OPA1612 / 1656 / 1692 / 1622 etc) They sound realy great, but I just said they don't give me the same pleasure as my Satisfaction A2.

I am using a Gustard AK4499 Dac with HD audio files. I am really happy with it by the way ) I also have a Gustard X16 and a dual AK4497 dac and others...
I also have great Floor speakers with ribbon tweeters, all is 100% handmade in France.

You can read this, you will understand what I may feel :

Benchmark AHB2 / Class D Purifi Eigentakt / Mark Levinson 333 - Listening impression & Conclusion | Audio Science Review (ASR) Forum

Last edited:
In a properly configured system, an amplifier shouldn’t add pleasure. It should simply amplify the signal it’s fed in the most linear way possible. If the Purifi doesn’t bring you the most pleasure the problem is one or both of these 2 issues:

1: You have a poor Purifi implementation.

2: You don’t like the sound of the source gear feeding the amp.

All people don’t hear the same. All people, whether because of age, or lack thereof, will perceive audio frequencies differently. What may sound suitable to my 60 year old ears, may not be appealing to ears 30 years younger.

There is a place for subjective analysis in audio, if only because the receiving sources (our ears) vary so greatly.

I know that. But many people chase their tails for years swapping out gear because they don’t understand which piece of gear causes what in their system. They’ll buy a bright sounding DAC, and think a warm sounding amp sounds just right. But then hook up a neutral amp and it sounds bright. So they end up thinking the amp was fatiguing, when reality it was the DAC.

I’ve built the cleanest version of a Purifi amp that can be built. And it sounds like crap when I hook up a crappy DAC to it. But unreal when I connect a great DAC to it. So when I hear someone isn’t enjoying a Purifi amp that tells me either their source isn’t as great as they think, or the input stage was poorly implemented.

I know that. But many people chase their tails for years swapping out gear because they don’t understand which piece of gear causes what in their system. They’ll buy a bright sounding DAC, and think a warm sounding amp sounds just right. But then hook up a neutral amp and it sounds bright. So they end up thinking the amp was fatiguing, when reality it was the DAC.

I’ve built the cleanest version of a Purifi amp that can be built. And it sounds like crap when I hook up a crappy DAC to it. But unreal when I connect a great DAC to it. So when I hear someone isn’t enjoying a Purifi amp that tells me either their source isn’t as great as they think, or the input stage was poorly implemented.

The Gustard X16 and my A18 with AK4499 are both nice DACS.
The Purifi also made is proof... The measurements have been taken, so I leave room for my ears to appreciate a piece of equipment.
I have been a musician for many years and the son of a classical guitarist, with no health history, so I can tell you that my sources are clean and that I find the Purifi less pleasant than my Satisfaction A2. However, I did not say that the latter measured better!

What Kevinfc explains to you is that indeed in any listening you will always have a part of subjectivity ... luckily people do not all buy their amp just by reading a few graph)

The Gustard X16 and my A18 with AK4499 are both nice DACS.
The Purifi also made is proof... The measurements have been taken, so I leave room for my ears to appreciate a piece of equipment.
I have been a musician for many years and the son of a classical guitarist, with no health history, so I can tell you that my sources are clean and that I find the Purifi less pleasant than my Satisfaction A2. However, I did not say that the latter measured better!

What Kevinfc explains to you is that indeed in any listening you will always have a part of subjectivity ... luckily people do not all buy their amp just by reading a few graph)

I’m not doubting what you’re hearing. But I’d put money on if you heard my Purifi based system you would be blown away. And the reason why is the system was tuned as a complete system. From source to amp binding posts. This is the reason I think power amps are stupid. You’ll never get a perfect system mixing and matching.

Could you describe your build? I’m interested in the Purifi and I’d like some ideas as to how to build it.

I made my own system with DAC/DSP and amps for active speakers. But sounds amazing if connected to passive speakers as well. But much better connected driver direct and doing a DSP crossover.

Here’s the 1w/1khz/4R THD+N of the entire system with DAC and DSP in the signal path.

Attachments

• 8437F9D7-3432-4FAA-8C2B-91D4088F9339.png
    8437F9D7-3432-4FAA-8C2B-91D4088F9339.png
    73.7 KB · Views: 278
I’m not doubting what you’re hearing. But I’d put money on if you heard my Purifi based system you would be blown away. And the reason why is the system was tuned as a complete system. From source to amp binding posts. This is the reason I think power amps are stupid. You’ll never get a perfect system mixing and matching.

By the way which input Buffers are you using ? The Eval Board is known to have the best one with OPA1612 onboard. But you can give a try to the Neurochrome that is outstanding ! checkout measurements here :

Purifi 1ET400A / Hypex NC500 Input Buffer – Neurochrome

I make my own. I make everything in my system other than the main rail power supply and the Purifi modules. This isn’t a DIY project. It’s a professional product with over $2000000 of R&D put into it. And there is no input buffer. The gainstage of the DAC directly connects to the inputs of the amp module. For the cleanest signal path possible.

Last edited:
No sorry what’s under the hood is not for the public. I don’t sell these products retail. I use them in very high end active in-wall speakers.

But it’s a very tightly integrated system with Ravenna audio over iP over fiber optic digital inputs. They have 3 channels of amps, and 1 sub output. And up to 64 of them can be synced together within a couple nanoseconds on a 1 gigabit network. The main use is extreme high end immersive sound theatres, and multi-room high end audio. For very high end homes.

TNT

Joined 2003
Paid Member
I made my own system with DAC/DSP and amps for active speakers. But sounds amazing if connected to passive speakers as well. But much better connected driver direct and doing a DSP crossover.

Here’s the 1w/1khz/4R THD+N of the entire system with DAC and DSP in the signal path.

Haha - you posted that, what, 7 times in this short thread :-D

I completely agree on your system view btw.

Bit please say something more about your DACs...

//

The DAC is amazing. And when the signal from the DAC output only needs to travel a few cm over PCB traces you get to hear what the Purifi amps can do. I also have separate extreme low noise supplies for the Modulator board on the Purifi amp, as well as the 5v digital.

Once I’m ready for huge volume orders I’m going to licence the Purifi IP and build the modules right into the same PCB like T&A has done.

Attachments

• DCAD99A7-7BDF-4254-8EA4-2A6C17C0E758.jpeg
    DCAD99A7-7BDF-4254-8EA4-2A6C17C0E758.jpeg
    366.9 KB · Views: 400