Topping DM7 8-channel USB DAC using ESS ES9038PRO - wow!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just found the review of the recently released Topping DM7 8-channel DAC on audiosciencereview.com:
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/topping-dm7-8-channel-dac-review.35661/

The performance level is very high. Output levels up to 5Vrms would pair nicely with PFFB class-D amps that need that kind of input level. Currently available for sale at $599.

This should be able to work under Linux and be used as a multichannel DSP crossover sink. I have not seen a confirmed report of this, and the recommended kernel version, but I am very optimistic about it. The only downside is a lack of input of any kind, however, you could use CamillDSP and another interface that is dedicated to analog or SPDIF input, or just use sources that are accessed via the computer (files, web streaming, etc.).

This is on my radar along with the MOTU Ultralite mk5 (priced similarly at $595), which was also reviewed at audiosciencereview.com but has been plagued with delays due to the AKM factory fire. Hopefully available this fall using ESS chips instead. The MOTU unit has 10 balanced output as well as analog and digital inputs, Overall the Ultralite mk5 is lower in performance, however, the difference is really down in the weeds IMO. Pick your "poison". :D

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Yes, really. As an example this TPA3255 amp:
https://www.jlelectronicsph.com/product/sylph-d200-tpa3255-pffb-stereo-ready-to-run-amplifier-module

Has in its specifications:
Input sensitivity - SE (PFFB disabled): 1V RMS
Input sensitivity - SE (PFFB enabled): 2V RMS
Input sensitivity - Balanced (PFFB disabled): 2V RMS
Input sensitivity - Balanced (PFFB enabled): 4V RMS
This is not un-typical. The post filter feedback reduces the gain, sometimes down to on the order of 12-15dB overall. So you need a lot of input voltage to make the amp reach full output.

Topping DM7 only has balanced outputs. Topping balanced out in other DACs is a minimal parts design and doesn't do well single ended. If DM7 has the same compromised output stage Okto will still be laughing.
1657932078154.png

Nope. Dont bother. The analysis and problem was with an earlier Topping balanced DAC. Its just a potential warning for early buyers who have RCA only amps and dont have a multi channel preamp with balance in to unbalanced out. Its possible the topology has been improved with this new model. Wait and see.

Nope. Dont bother. The analysis and problem was with an earlier Topping balanced DAC. Its just a potential warning for early buyers who have RCA only amps and dont have a multi channel preamp with balance in to unbalanced out. Its possible the topology has been improved with this new model. Wait and see.
Herę it is ...Audiosciencereview...
Topping DM7 8 channel DAC Measurements (1).png

the software used to show all those harmonics!
Audio Precision - not a DIY affordable product.
Herę it is
Thats not useful - its the known balanced in performance. The link was with the OP. The query is about single ended output. Many of us have single ended amps. Anyway this is likely to be not a problem with this new DAC. Topping should have moved on and SNR on RCA output will likely be shown to be OK before too long. It needs to be if going direct from DAC to power amp and using digital volume control.

Topping DM7 only has balanced outputs. Topping balanced out in other DACs is a minimal parts design and doesn't do well single ended. If DM7 has the same compromised output stage Okto will still be laughing.
There is no RCA out.

Look people, stop yer whining about "no RCAs" and "the unbalanced performance will be bad!". This is a balanced DAC, and as such it has incredible performance. It is what it is. If you don't want or can't use a DAC with balanced outputs then don't buy it. ¯\(ツ)

Reactions: 10 users
View attachment 1072439
I have the Topping D10 balanced and can confirm that the analog output looks pretty much like the schematics shown in the AD1955 datasheet.
Sure this is a minimalistic design, but in my opinion it can also be used single ended by just disregarding the inverting output. You may have ground loops then if you are unlucky.

The FFT plot you are showing looks terrible and I have never experienced anything like that with my Topping D10 balanced in single ended application. Probably the adaptor shorts the inverting output to ground forcing the op-amp into current limit or dissipation limit or some other issue. Topping advises to not use any adaptors, but get a DAC with single ended output instead. I guess this is just why.

The primitive balanced output gives you the option to do a proper low noise conversion to single ended on your own. The way Topping does it likely is like shown in the AD1955 datasheet and I‘m sure we all agree that this is not a high end solution.

Look people, stop yer whining about "no RCAs" and "the unbalanced performance will be bad!". This is a balanced DAC, and as such it has incredible performance. It is what it is. If you don't want or can't use a DAC with balanced outputs then don't buy it. ¯\(ツ)
When did I whine about the lack of RCA? RCA is the pineapple pizza of audio.
My comment was directed to people complaining about potential non performance of RCA outs.

But I won't buy it, like any other product from Topping, because they still have to do their homework on everyday usability.

Status
Not open for further replies.