Tone Tubby Alnico 12

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Cool drivers, but I don't think they'll be as good as the tone tubbys for use in OB without eq....the Qts is much lower so they'll roll-off much quicker in the lows... I don't expect much of the higher freq. response either, they'll both need a tweeter with pretty low x-over point (at least within the sensitive part of the average human hearing curve)...

Thanx for the links anyway, on behalf of the people who want to build a better guitar amp...or don't mind to crossover within the 'sensitive region'.:clown:

Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
That would be my point excactly

Fore a 2-way OB I think I would try the 10" TT, mostly because of its very high Qt and weaker motor, indicating a lower Le with wider FR, and mostly lower SPL means relative more bass - but pure speculation

but it will be essential to use two tweeters, one on front and one on back, with reversed polarity - could be conetweets

Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
Yes ofcourse, I forgot that option - but it might upset Fs resonance and have others kinds of unwanted resonance, but worth a try

I have an idea about having tweeter playing upwards (omni..?), but from about 10khz only

Maybe we could make a omni directional dipole:D

Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
Just a silly idea

Attachments

• tt omni.png
    tt omni.png
    13.5 KB · Views: 824
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
tinitus said:
Just a silly idea

You know what that reminded me of?

Have you ever seen those double dish mirrors that make an object appear to float above it? A very cool illusion. I saw it done on a larger scale at Infocom one year, a whole CRT screen. Very weird, looked like a projected hologram.

Wonder if you could do that with sound?

Sorry, kinda OT.

Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
Thanks, yes I know there exist some very exotic examples

I just thought about how to owercome some of the problems in a 2-way, this being a fullrange forum, and possibly at the same time deal with the issue that the TT is a dipole driver only

I would think that soundstage in a dipole and omni directional is very similar, or...?

Nope, I guess not, a dipole radiates a pattern shaped like an eight (seen from above) the one half of the eight radiates in a reversed phase and therefore you get bundled sound...the omni is a dispertion system radiating a positive phase in a 360 degree horizontal direction....

Both designs probably don't combine well for practical reasons. A cone tweeter in omni added to the TT in dipole came up in my thoughts, but where can the omni radiate 360 if the baffle of the TT is standing in it's way? I suppose the TT would need quite a large baffle to produce bass in OB, like any bassdriver in OB...(meaning the short-circuit point of the front and rear wave) despite it's high Qts, which offcourse helps a bit...

Than placing the TT in an omni seems crazy to me..:xeye: ;) Or do I understand you wrong? Did you mean placing the TT in an omni without enclosure?

"The OBOMNI" :D

:clown:

Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
Hi, sounds like you have missed my drawing in post 26 :)

Box is totally open at the bottom, and I think the TT is made for this kind of enclosure

BTW,...just read about some country fellowmen testing the 12" TT Alnico as guitar instrument speaker.... they found it to the very best, and it could play impressively loud loud too ...so, they dont "lie" about it

Attachments

• tt omni.png
    tt omni.png
    13.5 KB · Views: 664
Neat stuff on these TT drivers! The Eminence just don't seem quite right when looking at their frequency responses. The lil buddy seems best to me but doesn't extend far enough smoothly for me to purchase them. Looks like they will work on OB nicely tho.

Also, on these compression tweeters besides a capacitor (i did not read the entire article) is an L-pad being used to attenuate?

>>> "The midrange is where we live." - Paul Klipsch

Didn't PK also say something about ragged frequency response sounding more 'exciting' than flat? I remember seeing a quote about that i thought was interesting. Anyone know what it was?

Godzilla

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.