Tom Danley's TOWER OF POWER

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Re: it's not just you...

moray james said:
several pages of Tom's site have been down for a few days. So my guess is that the issue is at Danley sound rather than the server as his main page is up. Keep trying as it is an in depth answer. Regards Moray James (checked prior to posting and still down)

Thanks Moray - sent you an e-mail thru AA

AKN

Joined 2005
Paid Member
As far as I can tell...

the difference between a Transflex and a TAP is the length fraction of wavelength used for the line and of course the fact that Tom is using a horn flair which will of course be a little longer than a straight parallel sided duct for the same tuning frequency. The horn flair will provide some additional load and perhaps some limited gain. Since the TAP is a 1/4 wave horn ther will not be much if any gain (due to the horn) at resonance but it will controll upper harmonics better than a pipe would. Perhaps GM could comment on the gain aspect. I also assume that the position of the reflex duct is not all that critical but don't quote me on that. Best regards. Moray James.

PS have been keeping a sharp eye on the US Patent Applications and there is no sign yet of Tom's application (re the TAP). I fear that this is one design that Tom may not snag. Bummer when you find out that someone else had your same idea ahead of you and got the pattent. In my searches I have found my own idea patented twice. but wonder seriously if they will ever pay the cost of the application and patent along with maintenence fees.

here's another one...

this time an old one that may be from JBL 1/4 tap style horn.

Attachments

• air_coupler_2245h_800x600.jpg
    air_coupler_2245h_800x600.jpg
    88.8 KB · Views: 1,130
Thanks Moray,

That JBL info gives us some good tuning info for a Jensen Transflex type enclosure. I still haven't built a new sub. All I want is maximum output at 10hz running up to 27hz with no big surprizes in between. SQ isn't all that important since it's HT only duty for LFE's, although I don't want something that sounds like it's just flapping around making vibrations like I've heard at high end HT shops.

At my diposal are a JBL 1500GTI, 1 original Adire 18" Maelstrom, 1 original Tempest, and 2 Shiva mkVIs. I want to build one final satisfying sub, and size isn't important, although I can't fit a proper bass horn, in my mostly concrete 12'x21' room. I've just been trying to decide which alignment route to go.

KenL(ehman)'s k years back must have been about 6ft tall, 19x19 with a 65" high expo slot and maybe have looked kinda like:
http://img477.imageshack.us/img477/2838/mk7yn.jpg

its started with a regular BR vent but was converted to transflex. woofer was 15" Lanzar.

AJ might sim t-h ?

don't most TH have lower sensitivity woofer?

TD's horn should be smoother than TF

under the floor resonator might be fun.

I wanna see some real Karlson-action - the k-mafia won't let out much :^)

hey JohnInCR- removable "front" would save some grief.
dunno how well k-slot work nor whether wheeze.

that jbl transflex for 32Hz by rules would be 28 cubic foot - way too big.

for a short k-l here's Kl's excel sheet on the 65" high slot -k

http://hometown.aol.com/klehma/

drop Ken a line for ideas

don't forget the Karlson (I don't let up- hahahaha)
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

You can reduce the CSA...

like I said I have used CSA as small as 1/4 of driver Sd. In such a long line you will have a large mass of air that the driver will get loaded with and remember that you are using the same collum of air to damp both sides of the driver (imagine a 2 times load multiplier). I think that you also want to follow Klaymand lead by using a 1/4 wave (Fs) line so that the actionof the air load works on both sides of the driver as stated in Toms white paper. The driver could also be placed up the line so as to deminish harmonic production. This would permit the double line length loading as per Klayman's patent. Like I said before I think that the K coupler will act to open the line as if it were expanding as in a horn so that would mean that to get your tunning right the line would have to be some percentage longer. I think that Martin King's program could model it and tell you the proper length to tune to the drivers Fs. If you used two line sections as per Klayman the the short line could probably be calculated as a straight sided pipe so just 2 x Fs devided by four. Regards Moray James.

Re: Hey GM...

moray james said:
What about gain? Will a 1/4 wave horn provide any assistance at the fundamental? I expect it will only kick in at and above 1/2 WL.
Funny thing I posted this patent number at Tom's site late last night and it was gone today. Kind of touchy, Regards Moray James.

Greets!

No, look at the example in his WP, a horn doesn't 'get on the pipe' (to use a 2-stroke racing 'catch phrase') until it's acoustically 1/2 WL long. LOL! Touchy indeed! Can't blame them though, lots of prosound and consumer designers lurk there, not to mention patent attys..

GM

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.