to all in the Pass DIY Nation

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Well I don't know if I have to apologize or not but I fell off the DIY wagon and bought a used pair of XA100.5 power amps. Yes I know that I built a pair of x amps from this thread which were actually a converted pair of Aleph 200's I had built in 2001. I also have built the Pass/Thoroguard A75 which I am retiring after 23 years of faith full service-it is starting to hum and I suspect the poor caps.

The question I have is that I have bi amped line arrays. I also bought about 6 years ago a Pass X350.5. The idea is to have an all class A driven loudspeaker.

I am now beset with do I use the 350.5 to drive the tweeters as for sure it will never leave class A or use it on the mid/woofs where it just might happen? Crossover is at 2700hz.

By the way my wife was never impressed with my metal work or that the enclosures were mounted on dolly wheels.

When I wanted to rebuild the X amps using a stripped engine small block V8; put the tranny in the oil pan and the outputs in the heads with the input board on the manifold she was ready to call the doctor. Of course I would use the politically correct chrome covers.

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
I am now beset with do I use the 350.5 to drive the tweeters as for sure it will never leave class A or use it on the mid/woofs where it just might happen? Crossover is at 2700hz.

not really enough info

wee need you to cover other possibilities , same as more info about spks and amps - are you using just these two amps , is there subwoofer (needing an amp or two ) etc .

off course it looks as blasphemy using so potent amp just for tweets , when you can have smaller - more economical one , and in same time most probably sweeter sounding

.......... Of course I would use the politically correct chrome covers.

in that case , most possible is that Doc would be on your side ; all men are weak on chromed covers :clown:

to all Diy

IMG_0018.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_0018.jpg
    IMG_0018.jpg
    505.3 KB · Views: 517
Hm, U definitely have to apologize! :)

Kiddin; U cant focus on class A, B or whatever in that way. There are AB-amps that are totally usable in your setup. U could build a good AB-amp and compare to a bad A-amp untsoweiter. There are several ways to move distortion out of an amps window of operation.

Last edited:
Thanks guys, the speakers I designed and built, the turntable is a VPI TNT 5 plus that I put together over a 5 year stint. The phono pre amp is a Borbely all j-fet design with shunt regulators that I built from Audioxpress. The Pre amp/dac is the DEQX speaker correction and room correction unit used in an all balanced set up. I have also built the transcendent 160 watt OTL's which also sound very good. However after 30 years of experimenting I really like the class A sound that the Pass amps give. Yes it has taken me quite a while to obtain them but the Aleph 200's I built sold me on the sound. The trouble is now my ears are getting wore down. My wife says I can't follow verbal directions properly. I buy used records for 50 cents, clean them, coat them and listen.
I get the records at shows and from a dealer crazier than I am. Next step is internet downloading at 24bit-96hz

Jacco, this is what retirement does to you, people think that being crazy is normal for retirees.

Well at least I am not dressed in a cardboard box selling water at the local stoplights, that is if
the US gov't doesn't fall off the fiscal cliff. Hope all is well-dave

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.