TO-3P Insulators

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
no the new OP asks for non conductive juice. and all that it may imply
then further confusing matters he goes on about using the substance with thermal pads which already have TIM applied.
I personally look for a TIM that has a long shelf life and doesn't dry out too fast.
heres a test showing how well they all perform at 95W over a fairly small area ( pink lipstick and toothpaste don't do too bad)

Last edited:
No.
The ceramic pad is hard
Any hard layer between the hard heatsink and the hard device must have some heatsink compound to fill all the air gaps.
Still air is a very effective thermal insulator. One MUST eliminate ALL air from the interface.

Soft thermal pads that conform to the irregularities of both the heatsink and the device do not need an air excluding compound.
The soft conformable thermal pad does that for you.

I'm sure you aren't the first nor the last to tag on to an old thread, no big deal, just added to the confusion a bit.

Craig

Thanks Craig. All I really wanted to know was, what does everyone generally use to mate semiconductors to heatsinks - even if you're using a silicone pad or mica insulator. Decades ago I use to use simple silicon grease with a mica insulator to support better thermal transfer with the imperfections of the metals. I didn't need a lecture on thermal analysis for my simple application.

But since that time, computers came along and Artic Silver was born. I do know that should NOT be used. :) I got my answer elsewhere.

Rick

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.