"Tired2way" speaker building.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Ouch this will make my head spinn lol, but I will read and consider all suggestions. After the baffle is glued in place with braces and the polyester filling glued into place (I am not sure I need to change anything but probably it can be better) I will putty it and sand it smooth. Then a primer layer and then color + maybe some laquer on top. I will also round the braces, maybe it has a little positiv effect. When ready I will post some pictures of the inside to get it right. For example, should the insides be covered with filling all the way to the front, or do you leave a little space to be sure it is not too close to the actual membrane of the woofer?

It seem ART from Scotland is using the same unit.Price 12500 GBP :Ohno:

Attachments

• art audio.png
    art audio.png
    166.9 KB · Views: 525
Yeah Dufus, that is quite some asking price! Have not listened to it and maybe it is worth the money, who knows.
Salas: so it has some influence after all, good to know it seems ok to you as it is. It actually has a little thinker layer in the middle section than you specified I think.
First there is a layer going from bottom all the way up to top. Then in the middle a layer from side to side overlapping the bottom-to-top layer. And a little more than 6 cm as specified in the bottom but at the top above the bracing it is full. Se picture for detail:

Attachments

• speaker19.jpg
    speaker19.jpg
    85.1 KB · Views: 516
  • tiredbox.jpg
    tiredbox.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 491
Last edited:
diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Matters a lot especially in a reflex. Should work without hindrance. Else you lose much output.

As for high-end speakers etc. there is no VFM at all in that sector. Its either you appreciate an object of desire and you got no time, but much money, or you just stare IMHO. Only 3rd way to nirvana (3rd way is a Scandinavian TM mindset after all) is DIY.

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
There is the back bounce that can smear your mids penetrating the cone. You should listen judiciously. Here's a speaker made for my brother, he has them stacked away now because he needed room. Maybe you like the color scheme. Good tone, goes deep, but needs drive. See how it dips Z due to car audio subwoofer type 8incher.

Attachments

• DSCF0207.JPG
    DSCF0207.JPG
    304.8 KB · Views: 512
  • KostasZ.gif
    KostasZ.gif
    19.7 KB · Views: 498
diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
P.S. Found its FR chart to be complete since I mentioned it. Interestingly it shows comparable trend in a small room with a friend's Harbeth Super HL5 that I measured once in a different much bigger room at a later time. Red line must have had more octave smoothing.

Attachments

• Kostas&HL5.gif
    Kostas&HL5.gif
    27.8 KB · Views: 441
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.