Tinnitus... anyone else got it?

I have not read all of this thread, but have suffered from Tinitus for about 10 years. I used to be able to zone out of it and it wasn't too intrusive but I got Covid in October 2021 and my tinitus really ramped up and it is now with me 24/7. I have ringing and at times a low drone like a large truck idling outside your house. I also have long covid and just have to live with it. Diyaudio keeps me sane.

Joined 2009
Paid Member
Tinnitus has reached epidemic levels in recent years. Something else is probably afoot.

Maybe the generation growing with Walkman and headphone just got to the age you cannot do if it wasn't here?
And as we were the first gen living with something pluged in our ears i can't wait too see milenials starting to complain.

Puffin, have you blood pressure issue? I know it is one of the factor making them more noticable ( like missing sleep).

Maybe the generation growing with Walkman and headphone just got to the age you cannot do if it wasn't here?
And as we were the first gen living with something pluged in our ears i can't wait too see milenials starting to complain.

Puffin, have you blood pressure issue? I know it is one of the factor making them more noticable ( like missing sleep).
Headphones: Electromagnetic fields near ears and brain: Tinnitus.

Joined 2009
Paid Member
Well ok.
Let me be doubtful however.
No metal in my mouth, nothing you talk about were we sleep, living in countryside...

My past as a former soundengineer and musician seems more a culprit to me, but each one his own. I could list genetic too as Ménière disease is present in my family ( mild one for brother/sister, my mother more serious- have seen her not able to moove without serious balance issues for 3/4 days after a strike...).
None of them where exposed to high spl regularly.
Mine are linked to mild oxyecoia because of high spl exposure and not enough rest between them.

Last edited:
I've got it very light, honoustly I should be stone deaf by now, done nearly 800000 km on fast motorbikes without earprotection, most of the time, and listen to loud music for long hours, glad my hearing is stil ok, down to not hearing above 12000 hz, saves a supertweeter in my DIY speakers!

Joined 2009
Paid Member
Maybe lower noise floor from stopped human noizy activity made them much obvious?
I mean like all respiratory viral infections Covid19 could affect ears but saying there is 300% increase in report due to Covid needs a source and scientifical backup to have some validity.

Sounds like a front cover 'hook' sentence for bad paper press.

Joined 2021
Paid Member
I mean like all respiratory viral infections Covid19 could affect ears but saying there is 300% increase in report due to Covid needs a source and scientifical backup to have some validity.

A quick Google search gave this:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...lls-since-start-of-covid-coronavirus-pandemic

But nothing will match your scientific requirements, as that would require a control group of people that were not exposed to COVID, and these people are most likely few at this point.

Joined 2009
Paid Member
Well ok.
First result from google search made when i see your first post about it ElArte:

https://www.frontiersin.org/articles/10.3389/fneur.2022.974179/full

Don't take me wrong, i'm not saying this is false news for the Guardian, but i'm cautious: it's easy to have confirmation bias at play.

I mean, it's an helpline so i'm not surprised once people get stuck at home with less noise around them, psychological stress ( and if you seen doctors about tinitus you should know how this is psychological to most of them...) they need for help about it: more calls/contacts. In regular time they would'nt had taking care as much ( higher noise floor, activity being social or other).

I did my study about human related science and know how difficult it is to have meaningful results from things like that (article's theme) in a scientific controled way. It's even harder for journalist to have the same requirements vis a vis subject they cover ( and i don't say it's impossible but very difficult).

It's not per se some medical study.

Some scientific study about it had been engaged as during Covid19, students still had theyr study to perform and thrre was an inrush of money to focus into this subject.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user