Tinnitus... anyone else got it?

It's not suitable for DIY and it's not really a cure, but sometimes neurostimulation can suppress severe tinnitus, sometimes it can't.

An acquaintance of mine is professor in implantable electronics. He once tried to help a fireman who had had very severe tinnitus (so bad he hardly got any sleep) since someone threw fireworks into the cabin of his fire engine. The tinnitus disappeared, but unfortunately came back after a few seconds. In other cases, it never comes back. Apparently it's totally unpredictable whether it works or not.

Joined 2009
Paid Member
Does anyone have experience with the Neuromod stimulator?
Seems to be real science!
I have no personal experience with it, but after hearing about Hubert Lim’s electrical stimulation for reduction of tinnitus last October, did some research on Neuromod/Lenire.

Over the 12 weeks (36 hours) of their treatment, more than 80% of those who complied with the prescribed regimen saw an improvement based on two commonly used subjective outcome measures, the Tinnitus Handicap Inventory and Tinnitus Functional Index.
As reported to Science Translational Medicine, on a tinnitus severity score of one to 100, when the team followed up after 12 months, 80% of the 66% that reported reduction in tinnitus symptoms still had lower tinnitus scores, with average drops of 12.7 and 14.5 points.

There was no control group in the trial done by the manufacturer, so it’s impossible to know how much patients would have improved on their own or with a placebo.

The 12.7 and 14.5 points reduction (out of 100) is still rather small- if you have a headache that hurts 13% less, it ain’t like not having a headache…

As Hubert Lim said in a Care 11 video (local Minneapolis news) on 6:29 PM CDT October 15, 2020:
“It doesn't necessarily mean the (tinnitus) loudness has been reduced, although that may happen. The brain can detach itself or focus away from the tinnitus, so it's more about how they're feeling; the stress, the reaction, the symptom severity of the tinnitus”.

Having progressively lost high frequency hearing over the years, my tinnitus is now perceived as loud as conversational level high frequency sounds, unfortunately the Neuromod device won’t change that.

Since learning about Neuromod, I have started using hearing aids to compensate for the high frequency loss.

Hearing High Frequencies “When I’m 64”

Being able to again hear low SPL high frequency sound has reduced the relative level of tinnitus perception while wearing the hearing aids, my "symptom severity" of tinnitus also has been reduced, probably by at least 13% ;)

Art

Last edited:
Advice to younger generation: if you are into speaker building or any other wood working hobby, make sure you wear ear protection while doing so. It is a little uncomfortable but very rewarding in the long run! Also, be aware that just because you hear the machine muffled doesn't make it any less dangerous!

After finishing two basements including framing, and building a dozen speakers (often without ear protection), I can hear that high frequency noise in my ear -- or may be I am just aware of that these days.

Attachments

• 70038_W3.jpg
    70038_W3.jpg
    119.7 KB · Views: 147
Advice to younger generation: if you are into speaker building or any other wood working hobby, make sure you wear ear protection while doing so. It is a little uncomfortable but very rewarding in the long run! Also, be aware that just because you hear the machine muffled doesn't make it any less dangerous!

After finishing two basements including framing, and building a dozen speakers (often without ear protection), I can hear that high frequency noise in my ear -- or may be I am just aware of that these days.

where have you been 15 years before? :D now I'm 42. over 340 speakers, three +130db white noise surprises ( that moment when you are sure you turned down volume and hit "measure SPL" button with full volume on 95db/w/m speakers and 400w@4ohms monobloks.. )

my left ear developed constant ~15-17khz, ~27-30db" tone generator". now 2 years I even dont think to work with router without noise reducing headphones. what is funny that i made hearing tesst (with calibrated medical profesional equipment in deadened room and also in my studo with calibtated tweeters from 2cm) and hearing treshold is is preserved like 20 years old male- when added loudnes curves hearing does not roll off from 4000hz , but after 14khz dead drop like sharpest difital filter . to hear a 15.7khz a 110db level is needed. 16khz can not be heard with any level. I have tested quite a bunch customers and some have trouble to hear 10khz at 40db level. some have very shalow roll off, some not. almost always left right ears are diferent hearing performance both in range and hearing tresholds)

while we are young we never care about hearing. all my life i did cared about healthy body ,preparing it for aging, it functions like a new, beating my own 10-20km PB, beatng marathon results and reaching distances i have never thought i will be able to run. all is perfect.. except hearing. its the only human system which can not be trained or repaired or preserved. at least with current achievements. the good news that our analog to digital coverter DSP unit (brain) suprisingly adapts to quite brutual hearing loss/anomalies.

Last edited:
Advice to younger generation: if you are into speaker building or any other wood working hobby, make sure you wear ear protection while doing so. It is a little uncomfortable but very rewarding in the long run!
Good advice, tinnitus is usually associated with hearing loss.

Also ear protection attenuation ratings are also very important- the more attenuation, noise reduction rating, (NRR) the less hearing loss. A 10 dB increase in NRR increases the safe exposure time by around 10 times!

Go for at least 30dB attenuation to keep your ears safe around power cutting tools. Using ear plugs under muffs increases NRR even more.
Although I have been wearing hearing protection since around 1979, unfortunately most of the protection I chose provided less than 20 dB NRR until about 15 years ago- had I been using 30dB attenuation from the start, my hearing losses and tinnitus may have been 10dB (or more) less severe now.

Last edited:

since i was young, i can't stand the screeching sound especially when metal meet metal like mixing an egg on steel pan using whisk. or when a machete knife screech thru bamboo surface, it's killing me

i bought a earplug dedicated for working, but i find that my broken iem can seal sound better

As an F-15 mechanic for many years, I had the unfortunate problem several times of being in the midst of a repair on the previously-dead-quiet flight-line, only to have a crew chief come out and run up an engine of the F-15 next to me. Being unable to stop what I was doing for several minutes to insert earplugs did the deed to my ears. I now hear the sound of an F-15 idling whenever I am awake. I also believe that stress increases the db level. I have a really messed-up neck, with impingements on my spinal cord at almost every joint (C3-4-5 have been fused, and I am contemplating more surgery), so pain keeps me up and limits sleep to 2-3 hours at a time, keeping me tired all the time. After going through this whole thread for something that will help lessen my loud tinnitus, I tried going to an on-line signal generator and playing that specific sound (G8, 0r 6272 Hz) at about the same level as I experience with my tinnitus. I found that my tinnitus db level decreased considerably for several minutes after, but eventually came back to the original level. To me, this inspires hope that doing this exercise many times a day, or when the tinnitus is especially bad, will relieve my discomfort for longer periods at a time. The worst that can happen is that the tinnitus will get worse (unlikely, as I am playing the tone at low volume levels), or that I am wasting my time. Both are unlikely, IMHO, so this is my new strategy. I'll report back after trying it for a while.